Internal vs External Drive for Xbox One S?

Snowburden

Honorable
May 9, 2014
So I'm thinking about getting a Xbox One S, and I was wondering if going with a cheap Xbox One S (like the 500GB) and just get a External Drive of 2TB or 4TB 3.0 portable drive for memory for games. I've read places that the 3.0 are faster than the internal Sata connection. But most of those threads are 2+ years old. And those were referring to the regular Xbox One. Has the Xbox One S improved on the Sata connection?

Anyway, give me some pros and cons with going with a lower hard drive Xbox One S with a large External Drive, vs the largest Xbox One S that is 2TB and no external drive.

Solution
are we talking about laptop hard disk on external enclosures or bit 3.5" enclosures?

that changes things alot, a big 7200rpm hard disk, external, will require a good usb 3 enclosure that also uses a power adapter

a small laptop hard idsk or a ssd will not require that

now that you mention 7200rpm, there is too many ways to shave this cat, it all depends on how you want to mod the xbox or how big and expensive you wan to be the external hard disks added

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the only way a external hard disk would be faster via usb 3 is a ssd

all internal and external hard idsk are the same, laptop or desktop hard disk with a maximum read speed of 200 megabytes per second, alot less when used for games

if you cna put inide a larger hard disk, do it, 2 tbs sounds good to me

the sata is sata, it will not change over time, is sata 2 or sata 3, the limitation is always the speed of the hard disk, not the maximum speed of the sata port

rmuserx2

Prominent
May 7, 2017
No, you're dead wrong. Drive read/write rates vary greatly depending on rotational speed. An external 7200rpm drive is faster than the internal stock Xbox drive.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
are we talking about laptop hard disk on external enclosures or bit 3.5" enclosures?

that changes things alot, a big 7200rpm hard disk, external, will require a good usb 3 enclosure that also uses a power adapter

a small laptop hard idsk or a ssd will not require that

now that you mention 7200rpm, there is too many ways to shave this cat, it all depends on how you want to mod the xbox or how big and expensive you wan to be the external hard disks added

Solution