INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR Windows 10 Restart Loop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

supersnicks123024

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
I upgraded to windows 10 this morning and after logging into my computer i am greeted with a blue screen saying that my computer needs to restart. This always happens about 1-2 minutes after i log in. 1-2 minutes is not enough to try to access any settings and do something about it. Is there any way to fix this? I am on a Lenovo y40 laptop that came installed with windows 8. There is no optical port so i cant insert a disk and go back to 8.

Solution
I have the same issue, after research and I tried this post below, it worked. (I laptop is Dell Inspiron 15 n5548):

"The problem is that during the Windows 10 installation, the computer installs the wrong graphics card driver. It installs the AMD Radeon R7 M265 driver instead of the M270.

Here are the steps to fix the issue.

1. As soon as the computer boots up, login, and then hit the Windows Key button and the X,

2. Go to "Device Manager"

3. Scroll to "Display Adapters / AMD Radeon R7 M265 / Driver/ Disable". This will stop the computer from rebooting.

4. To install the correct graphics driver, just hit "Update Driver" and have it "Search Automatically" for it.

Everything should run smoothly now!"

Good luck!

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

I could not let Windows 10 "decide" the driver, it kept installing the wrong one. I had to go to Toshiba website, and luckily they had an updated AMD driver (just updated July 29th) that I was able downloaded and installed. Once that was installed, Windows did not try to "update" to a wrong driver anymore and no more boot loops

Count Iblis

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
I also updated the drivers to solve this problem on my Lenovo computer. It seemed to work until the next day, when every ten minutes or so the computer would do a restart. Disabling the WIFI stopped the restarts, I disabled some apps that I thought were responsible and enabled the WIFI. That seemed to work, but a few hours later the computer had entered a restart loop in my absence. I decided to just reinstall Windows 8.1, the problem is much deeper than just a few drivers here and there.

ngoni615

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
Somehow it seems that this issue is occuring most to amd users. I'm using lenovo ideapad z580 laptop with i7 3840qm cpu nvidia gforce gt635m 16gb ddr3 1600 mhz 1tb hdd. And I heard ts a driver issue. Yesterday I installed windows 10 in this laptop and after finishing the installation boom.. Blue screen of death..so restarted in safe mode and what do I see?nvidia gforce gt 680mx wtf?my card is nvidia gt 635m 2gb dedicated. So I disabled the nvidia gpu and got left wt intel hd 4000.. Went to nvidia site and downloaded the latest drivers for win 10 n now my laptop is running smooth as silk. No crashes. And very awesome gaming performance too..I dnt think its just a driver issue with win 10. I think its a bug in windows installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.