Question Internet access but can't connect to anything

Cianheena

Prominent
May 2, 2019
So I have built my PC from scratch worked fine up until last week when i decided to give it a clean install of windows. When I did Everything worked fine, Until i was about 2 hours into using my PC and realised my network crashed. My Pc was still saying that I had internet access but nothing was loading. its the same now, I have tried multiple different ways of restoring it. Last thing i want to do is to have to buy a new mobo.

Specs:
Operating system: Windows 10 pro 64bit

CPU: Intel Core i7 @ 3.2ghz Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

Ram: 12gb DDR4

MOBO:
Gigabyte Z370P D3-CF

Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6gb

Any more info ye need Do give me a shout I have more than likely forgotten something as I am Brand new to toms hardware

Cianheena

Prominent
May 2, 2019
You could also try connecting directly to the modem-bypass the router and see if that makes any difference.
I would re-start the modem and then your PC after connecting to the modem.
I’ve tried that aswell, still no joy. I have connected an old mobo I have and the internet connection has worked completely fine on that one

Cianheena

Prominent
May 2, 2019
If you changed mob's and it's working, my guess is the internet connection on the Gigabyte mobo is shot.

Are you sure you downloaded and installed the correct Lan drivers for that board?
Yeah I did, 100%. I’ll be honest I have spent COUNTLESS hours on the inter webs trying to solve this and I can’t find someone else who has the problem who hasn’t sorted it like me. It’s such a strange problem considering it works for a few hours and then just cuts out but still says I have internet access even though nothing loads

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh ok so it's a intermittent issue.

Does rebooting pc help? If it does try disable/re-enable network adapter.

Im on fibre and sometimes i get a problem where loading a webpage goes straight to a connection error, doesn't happen often though. Same thing happens on another system as well. I haven't figured why that happens to me, but disable/enable network adapter on either machine when this happens fixes it immediately until the next time.

Cianheena

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Oh ok so it's a intermittent issue.

Does rebooting pc help? If it does try disable/re-enable network adapter.

Im on fibre and sometimes i get a problem where loading a webpage goes straight to a connection error, doesn't happen often though. Same thing happens on another system as well. I haven't figured why that happens to me, but disable/enable network adapter on either machine when this happens fixes it immediately until the next time.
Rebooting doesn’t help, the only thing that seems to work is to wait between an hour to even 2 hours for it to come back and when it does come back it lasts about an hour.

Cianheena

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Did you try disable then enable network adapter anyway?

Test another network cable and check plug is good fit both ends of the cable.
I’ve tried a different cable, even bought a new one but still the same problem. I’m gonna be buying a new mobo today so hopefully that sorts out my problem.

I appreciate all the help ye guys are giving me big time

NIC hardware failure is extremely rare, why do u suspect Mobo? What do the LEDs by the RJ45 say? What exactly does the browser says when u try to browse? can u ping anybody? post an IPCONFIG /ALL screen. WIFI in this box not installed or disable I hope.

Cianheena

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Just to add aswell, whole reason why I am buying a new mobo is because an older mobo worked perfectly. For over 20 hou
NIC hardware failure is extremely rare, why do u suspect Mobo? What do the LED by the RJ45 say? What exactly does the browser says when u try to browse? can u ping anybody? post an IPCONFIG /ALL screen. WIFI in this box not installed or disable I hope.
i am suspecting the motherboard because I put an older motherboard in with an I5 and the network worked completely fine for about 20+ hours. The browser loads for a few minutes then tells me to run the windows troubleshooter (which comes up with no faults) before telling me to check the proxy and stuff like that (currently in work so cant get full info about it but will do when I’m home) I am pretty sure there is no fault coming up on the MOBO as my entire pc runs perfectly apart from saying I have internet access when I don’t. I can ping my router no problem but I haven’t tried pinging anything else. I will post an IPConfig /all when I’m home from work

Cianheena

Prominent
May 2, 2019
I swear if I knew Pc gaming was this troublesome I would’ve stuck to console gaming. Within the first build I had to get a new mobo, a new hard drive AND more ram because most of it arrived dead.

Cianheena

Prominent
May 2, 2019
When you get home and next time this happens try disable/enable network adapter.

What internet connection do you have?

It's unfortunate you've been so unlucky.
I have fiber. Usually get 170 mb/s when my internet works 😂 I have tried enabling and disabling it already, the weird thing you’d expect the network adapter to disable once it stops working, but it’s still enabled for some reason

boju

Titan
Ambassador
When internet or more specifically web browsing stops for me on two machines (independent of each other, internet doesn't drop both same time) i can still lan. My suspicion for me is either router or fibre box. Re-enabling nic adapter i can only imagine refreshing nic/router/fibre box with whatever gateway the internet requires to work. Seems you have a different problem though.

Cianheena

Prominent
May 2, 2019
When internet or more specifically web browsing stops for me on two machines (independent of each other, internet doesn't drop both same time) i can still lan. My suspicion for me is either router or fibre box. Re-enabling nic adapter i can only imagine refreshing nic/router/fibre box with whatever gateway the internet requires to work. Seems you have a different problem though.
You see the thing is that I have tested both the router and fiber box using different cables in different ports and it’s still the same thing. Everything else that’s connected whether it is connected through Ethernet or WiFi still works. It’s literally just my PC that stops working

boju

Titan
Ambassador
My cables all detect gigabit and wifi never drops for phones when either of my PC's fail to load web pages randomly and at various times - some times.

If any of that relates to you then try update router's firmware or reset it.

It may be the motherboard. It's a tough call.

Cianheena

Prominent
May 2, 2019
My cables all detect gigabit and wifi never drops for phones when either of my PC's fail to load web pages randomly and at various times - some times.

If any of that relates to you then try update router's firmware or reset it.

It may be the motherboard. It's a tough call.
You see the reason why I think it’s the mobo is because I put a different motherboard in and the internet worked perfectly plus, that motherboard had internet that worked perfectly before I did a clean install

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If the motherboard's nic did work fine before reinstalling windows, that could have been a driver issue. But when you tried a different motherboard, was Windows reinstalled? It's never good to share Windows between different motherboards, that will complicate things between different chipsets.

Cianheena

Prominent
May 2, 2019
If the motherboard's nic did work fine before reinstalling windows, that could have been a driver issue. But when you tried a different motherboard, was Windows reinstalled? It's never good to share Windows between different motherboards, that will complicate things between different chipsets.
No windows wasn’t reinstalled, I never knew it could cause hassle like that. If that is the cause, would a brand new mobo with a clean install of windows work?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Using same Windows install on different hardware can sometimes work, more often not though causing problems and conflicts.

Try reinstalling Windows first before replacing the board.