Question Internet Adapter keeps going out on my pc...

dcb949

Commendable
Nov 25, 2018
So ive been encountering this problem where only this one device randomly losses its connection to the internet and i cant get it back until i do a reset considering i cant figure out how to troubleshoot it... ive tried all the basic stuff.. but heres the problem maybe someone can help me before i just do a full reformat..

My internet randomly kicked off the other day and i couldn't get it to get going again. i tried all kinds of stuff i searched and found on google nothing worked... It seems when i restart my computer it tends to lose its internet connection but there is nothing wrong with any other devices or computers connections when it happens. so i know its windows and not my modem/router. At first I had to do System Restores to get my internet to work. then that stopped working so i had to do "Reset This PC" every time i wanted to use the internet which meant redownloading everything etc... So now the only time i can get my internet to work is when windows sees a fresh install. Anyone know what i can do?

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
So ive been encountering this problem where only this one device randomly losses its connection to the internet and i cant get it back until i do a reset considering i cant figure out how to troubleshoot it... ive tried all the basic stuff.. but heres the problem maybe someone can help me before i just do a full reformat..

My internet randomly kicked off the other day and i couldn't get it to get going again. i tried all kinds of stuff i searched and found on google nothing worked... It seems when i restart my computer it tends to lose its internet connection but there is nothing wrong with any other devices or computers connections when it happens. so i know its windows and not my modem/router. At first I had to do System Restores to get my internet to work. then that stopped working so i had to do "Reset This PC" every time i wanted to use the internet which meant redownloading everything etc... So now the only time i can get my internet to work is when windows sees a fresh install. Anyone know what i can do?
What is your computer manufacturer and model or (if it’s custom built) what are the full system specs? It may be a driver issue, have you tried installing an updated driver from the manufacturer website?

dcb949

Commendable
Nov 25, 2018
What is your computer manufacturer and model or (if it’s custom built) what are the full system specs? It may be a driver issue, have you tried installing an updated driver from the manufacturer website?

Manufacture: Myself
Case: Thermaltake Commander G41
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE
CPU: Intel i7-4790K
GPU: GeForce GTX 970
Memory: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G3 750w
Cooling: EVO212
SSD1: Kingston 120GB SSD (OS SSD)
SSD2: Crucial 240GB (Steam SSD)
HD: Asus 1TB Black (Storage HD)

I reinstalled windows but not completly. I only did a half reformat and not the "remove everything feature" i did the "Keep my files" reset. It seems to be network adapter issues which is making me also think its something to do with my drivers. And yes i did a fresh install of all my drivers from the MSI website

edit: Im also worried about restarting my computer (which when troubleshooting, as you know, you need to do over and over) because thats when it ususally happens. I lose my connection 90% of the time when i restart... ive had it just randomly stop working when i was using it twice. the rest of the times have happened after restarts

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Manufacture: Myself
Case: Thermaltake Commander G41
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE
CPU: Intel i7-4790K
GPU: GeForce GTX 970
Memory: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G3 750w
Cooling: EVO212
SSD1: Kingston 120GB SSD (OS SSD)
SSD2: Crucial 240GB (Steam SSD)
HD: Asus 1TB Black (Storage HD)

I reinstalled windows but not completly. I only did a half reformat and not the "remove everything feature" i did the "Keep my files" reset. It seems to be network adapter issues which is making me also think its something to do with my drivers. And yes i did a fresh install of all my drivers from the MSI website

edit: Im also worried about restarting my computer (which when troubleshooting, as you know, you need to do over and over) because thats when it ususally happens. I lose my connection 90% of the time when i restart... ive had it just randomly stop working when i was using it twice. the rest of the times have happened after restarts
Thanks for the information. Can you go into Device Manager and see if there are issues with the Wi-Fi adapter? If there is an issue it should show an orange triangle with an exclamation mark. If it doesn’t have one when it isn’t working, it’s probably the hardware not the software.

dcb949

Commendable
Nov 25, 2018
Yes, I have. It doesnt seem to be my wifi. nor my ethernet. it seems to be my network adapter in general. like my wifi wont work if the ethernet doesnt and vice versa. All other devices are working fine when this happens which makes me think of bad drivers or something. I think the only way i can fix this forsure, or atleast rule out driver issues with a fresh install of windows.

This is kinda exactly the problem i encounter

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-regain-internet-access-after-installing-update-windows-10

Colif

Win 11 Master
What WIFI adapter do you have? Motherboard doesn't have WIFI so its USB or PCI card?
If you give me model I can see who actually makes the chip on it

its possible it uses a realtek chip as well and might be conflicting with ethernet.

dcb949

Commendable
Nov 25, 2018
What WIFI adapter do you have? Motherboard doesn't have WIFI so its USB or PCI card?
If you give me model I can see who actually makes the chip on it

its possible it uses a realtek chip as well and might be conflicting with ethernet.

I dont use WIFI. I only use it when i have to and right now i dont have to.

Ive been using this mobo for like 6 months with no problems, then all the suddon one day a few weeks back my internet just went out. and it wasnt my ISP it was my device. because all other computers in the house were working no problems. So I think im gunna do a fresh install of windows and see if that can fix it.. that is if i cant get someone to solve it for me before i do it. Its a very weird problem... like all week i was able to use it normally suprisingly, I was able to start it and shut it down with it starting up with the internet fine until yesterday i get home from work and boom. didnt work, did a system restore (which doesnt always work) and it popped back on... so i pretty much have a 50/50 chance of my internet working whenever i restart my computer. its a really weird problem