Internet Archive Adds 900 Playable Coin-op Arcade Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

That looks cool. But some of the free online gaming sites can be dangerous.
I'm not sure about this site, though.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Most of these titles will be abandonware or because of the copyright 10% difference rule (the engine that runs it); these will not be subject to violation of copyright laws.

Um, no. Since many of them look almost identical to the original game, and some of them are likely running the original ROM code, they are quite subject to copyright law. There is no '10% difference' rule, but there is a rule in visual arts that there has to be seven significant visual differences that can be discerned by a layman at a passive glance.

You are speaking specifically from a visual standpoint. IE; graphics. when you state look almost identical... with that logic, seven visual differences could well be in play. however, Title 17 of the U.S. Code specifically mentions graphic as well as artistic content under copyright having specific sets of rules for copyright infringement(And in fact does state specifically 10% difference, in most cases) Conversely, you are correct in stating that copying the original ROM code being illegal under current laws. However, there is no legal precedence set stating the illegality for some one to use a ROM that has been ripped. the main legality issue comes with how you procure the ROM or game, it is the illegal distribution of the games that becomes the issue. As this site is not mass producing and/or mass distributing, this would not be an issue. They are simply providing a service. Furthermore, the point I was making is that the engine behind the game is where the copyright laws would be adverted. As this would probably not be the orignial ROM (to be fair I do not know, it is an assumption.) It is extremely difficult to place copyrights on things such as game mechanics, physics engines or engines in general, game play styles, etc.

But I digress.

Cheers.

bloodroses75

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Well, since these are emulators running the games, would that mean by what you stated that the ROMS they're using are illegal then if they don't hold either a physical copy of every title or permission from the copyright holders? Making a profit (advertising or any other means) off another person's intellectual property w/o permission is illegal and previous site that have done exactly what they're doing now have been shutdown in the past for those exact reasons.

BTW, 90% of the titles they have on that site are not abandonware, nor will be anytime soon.

Well maybe they will be shut down, I dont know and dont have a dog in the fight on whether they should be or not. Personally, I am actually glad they are providing the service; not the actual ROM, as it is pretty cool and nostalgic. Additionally, I dont know if they are making a profit from this service.

Cheers

bloodroses75

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
I do agree that it's cool and I'm surprised the companies that owns these hasn't done this years ago (and actually make a profit off it) instead of just trying to stifle the market.
But yeah, they can classify advertising of any kind on the site as making a profit, which sucks as well :(

Status
Not open for further replies.