Internet at work suddenly slow on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

briko3

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018
I have an HP laptop that is about 1.5 years old and is running Windows 10. I have always gotten good internet speeds at home and work (home on Wifi and work on Wifi or Wired, but I usually have it wired) All of a sudden, my internet at work slowed down to a crawl. The speedtests show it is 100 down and 5 up, but loading webpages, etc. is frustratingly slow.
It seemed to change when my computer updated to the "creators edition" of Windows back in Nov, so I rolled it back...no difference. I had also installed F-secure around that time, so I uninstalled that...no difference.
Any ideas of what could cause this?

Solution
OK, I figured I would write what worked since no one ended up responding in case someone else had the same problem. I spent 2 months trying to figure this out. I checked different offices in the building, got Spectrum to change out the router/modem, got them to install a line amplifier, uninstalled program I didn't need, ran countless virus scans, turned off services I thought might use internet, etc., etc., etc.
I was the power cord. I kid you not. When going to other people's offices and plugging up to their wall, it was no issue. I assumed wifi worked better as well because I was closer to the source. Then I finally realized the only difference is that I plug into a monitor in my office and plug up my AC power source...

briko3

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018
OK, I figured I would write what worked since no one ended up responding in case someone else had the same problem. I spent 2 months trying to figure this out. I checked different offices in the building, got Spectrum to change out the router/modem, got them to install a line amplifier, uninstalled program I didn't need, ran countless virus scans, turned off services I thought might use internet, etc., etc., etc.
I was the power cord. I kid you not. When going to other people's offices and plugging up to their wall, it was no issue. I assumed wifi worked better as well because I was closer to the source. Then I finally realized the only difference is that I plug into a monitor in my office and plug up my AC power source. Unplugged it worked, plugged up it was slow again. My power adapter from home works like a charm.
It was a lot of work for a simple solution, but I never would have thought it would have been the cause. Good luck if you're running into the same issue. Just unplug, restart and see what happens.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.