[SOLVED] Internet briefly cuts out and connection to server lost when playing multiplayer games

Feb 4, 2019
Hello,

I have been searching the internet for a few years and have now decided to ask the question directly.

Whenever I start playing any multiplayer game everything is fine and can be fine for up to an hour, but sooner or later I will lose connection to the server and the wifi icon on my PC will display the yellow triangle, indicating an error. Troubleshooting does nothing, as the connection reestablishes within 30 seconds. When it goes down, it goes down on all devices in the house. It also doesn't matter what PC I play on or weather or not I use a wifi or cable connection, the outcome is the same. I suspect the issue is with my ISP but they never find anything wrong and I haven't seen the issue described anywhere online.

At no other point except while playing multiplayer does this happen. It's mostly annoying because of the timeout you get when leaving a match early "on purpose".

any help is much appreciated.

(the specific game I play most is Warface, if that helps)

EDIT: It seems to also effect VPN use in the same way

Sounds like you have short intermittent outages on your internet connection. The ISP will not see them unless they get very lucky and it goes down when they happen to be testings.

First step is to run tracert to some ip like 8.8.8.8. Next open mulitple cmd windows and run a constant ping to hop1 (your router) hop2 (the ISP first router) and the final hop 8.8.8.8 If hop2 does not respond try another one.

What you want to show the ISP that you get no packet loss at all to your router but you see loss to the network in the other hops. This means all your equipment is fine and the problem is in the ISP network. Hop2 represent the cable coming to your house and is the most common source of problems. The ISP has tools that they can really test these lines but they many times need to come out to the house.

Feb 4, 2019

I did what you said but even hop1, as well as hop2 , 3 and 4 read:

PING: transmit failed. General failure.

It read like that for ten instances and then resumed a stable transmission

That means something is wrong with the pc. Most times when it is intermittent it is a driver issue. It can be other things like firewall or virus software but those tend to be broken all the time not random.

What does not make sense is why other devices would also go down in the house.

If the ethenet port goes to a red x when this happens and your other device do not work at the same time it could be the router rebooting or something. You need to narrow this down and see if it is mulitple devices or just the one pc or you will spend a lot of time fixing the wrong thing.,

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS