Internet but no internet - Laptop - Windows 7

spazmatic1221

Honorable
May 21, 2013
Hello, recently I have been having a weird issue with my laptop. This started probably two months ago, anyway let's get to the point. About twice a day, or once a day my laptop drops all wireless connectivity from the network, when it does this I don't get a "No Internet Access" message. It say's it's still connected with internet access but I am unable to load any web pages, and I can't even access my router IP which I find very strange. My other desktop still has access to the internet and router IP, all Android devices are still connected to the network and are able to access the internet, PS3 is still has connection and is still able to play online, so I know it's not the router. The way I resolve this on my laptop is by restarting it, and that fixes it. From what I've read on google people suggested it could be the wireless card going bad, or malware. There is a possibility it could be malware because I download torrents alot, I've had this laptop since 2010 and haven't caught a virus yet but it looks like my days are numbered if this is the case haha. If there is anyone out there that could give me some suggestions or know's a fix I'd appreciate it!

hurley081182

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
First what AV do you have? If none try using AVG. Its free and pretty good. I would also check to make sure you have the latest drivers installed. Do a windows update. After that go into your device manager, right click your wireless device, and select update device driver. The following screen will give you two options (select search automatically for updated driver software). If those two options do not help maybe a wire is loose inside your laptop that supports your card, or the device itself is going bad.

spazmatic1221

Honorable
May 21, 2013

I'm using AVG Internet Security, I keep everything updated, I updated the Wireless driver just the other day. When it does it again I'm going to see if a direct connect via ethernet works, I think it didn't last time I checked but that was before I got a new modem cause my old one was 7 years old and was going bad.

UPDATE: alright so it cut out again this morning. Wireless said it was connected with internet access but I was unable to re-load pages or access my router's IP. Direct connect via ethernet said I was connected with internet access but failed to load any pages or router IP. I've never seen anything like this before, weird lol. I restarted and everthing is all good! Time to wait until it does it again.