Internet connection... but can't connect to the internet.

RolandVet

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I've got atm two computers running from the same ethernet cable altenately. However when I connect to the internet on one of two pc's (vista) iv4p says that their is connection with the internet and i can fully browse the internet but.... once i switch the cable to the other pc (7) iv4p says that their is connection to the internet but as soon as i attempt to browse internet fails me and i can't see a single page!
Details:

• ■Working pc sates that the Ivp6 connection is 'Limited' while the other says 'no connection with network'
    ■flushdns had no effect
    ■Had problems with slow internet for a while now but uTor could always download. Now even that has stopped!
Now I have eliminated a few factors that could have caused the problem. These can't be causing the problem:
  • ■cable■modem■router■lan card
Cable seen as i am using the same across the two pc's (not simultanously though ;))
Modem and router because the other pc does connect.
Lan card because I added a new one when I was advised to do so and the problem still continues to exist.

Why are you switching a single ethernet cable back and forth between machines? On the face of it it wouldn't explain the problem, but it sure isn't helping matters.

You also state "Working pc sates that the Ivp6 connection is 'Limited' while the other says 'no connection with network'", well that sounds like it's NOT working to me. Limited connectivity usually means the PC is attempting to contact a DHCP server, it never responds, and then it assigns itself an IP address in the 169.x.x.x address space, which is essentially useless.

Again, stick w/ a dedicated Ethernet cable for each PC. For each PC having problems, go to Start->Run, type "cmd" (no quotes), and hit enter. In the command window, type "ipconfig /all > temp.txt" (no quotes) and post the file's contents here.

RolandVet

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Using one cable for diagnostic purposes only. once i get both internet connections working i will move the one pc back to a different cable.

ipconfig mobo lan card:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Kids-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-4C-5B-AA-A7
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-1D-D0-CF-62
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::ecd2:d495:ad4c:7b9c%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.123.138(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : donderdag 11 maart 2010 16:44:42
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : donderdag 18 maart 2010 7:16:00
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.123.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.123.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 335553565
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-95-F0-50-00-24-1D-D0-CF-62
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.lan:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

ipconfig pci lan card:

Windows IP Configuration

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::55d8:f73d:d3dc:fda%13(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.123.165(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : donderdag 11 maart 2010 15:45:26
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : donderdag 18 maart 2010 15:45:26
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 302047308

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)

The following doesn't make sense:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.123.138(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : donderdag 11 maart 2010 16:44:42
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : donderdag 18 maart 2010 7:16:00
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 335553565

Unless you’re specifying a public DNS server like say, OpenDNS (208.67.222.222), then the DNS server is usually the same IP address as the Default Gateway (which is your router). But your DNS server is not only a local IP address (192.168.1.254), it’s not even on the same network as your PC (192.168.123.138)! I would have expected to see 192.168.123.254 as your DNS server.

So you either have to use 192.168.123.254 as your DNS server, or some public DNS server like OpenDNS (208..67.222.222). Right now 192.168.1.254 is unreachable based on your current configuration.

And btw, most consumer routers default to something like 192.168.1.x, or maybe 192.168.0.x network. It seems odd you (apaprently) changed it to 192.168.123.x. It should still work, but I'm just concerned because normally if you just use the router defaults, all this stuff just works out of the box. But it appears you've been getting in their and making so changes and in the process perhaps that explains the incorrect DNS specification).

RolandVet

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
This was also spotted by someone else. I am actually connected to the internet through a modem which has a router built in and then through another router. So:
Modem&Router -> Router -> PC's
This is connected directly to the Modem&Router

[Coming]

Connected to a second router?! That's a big detail to leave out! :eek:

You can't just chain routers together without making some adjustments. Otherwise, you'll end up w/ multiple DHCP servers and your PC TCP/IP configurations will be screwed up.

RolandVet

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Blush....
Sorry about that.... but isn't the interner supposed to work as soon as i connect the pc directly to the modem&router?
This is over the pci lan card:

Windows IP Configuration

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.72(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : donderdag 11 maart 2010 17:08:10
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : vrijdag 12 maart 2010 17:08:10
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Well that appears to be a proper configuration and should work. Does it work? I presume that's WITHOUT the second router in the mix (not connected in any way to your current network).

RolandVet

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
well the second router is not completely disconnected but is not 'in the mix' yet still zero internet. remarkable is that there are packages that get sent and recieved but no further connections. (also with router 'in the mix')

The current setup is like this
Modem&Router -> PC
||
\/
Router

You can NOT have the second router connected IN ANY WAY unless it's properly reconfigured! And if that’s what you want to do, we can discuss it.

But for right now, if you keep that second router connected, you will screw up your connectivity because your PCs will likely attempt to use its DHCP server instead of the one belonging to the router that's connected to the Internet! You can’t just throw the second router on to the network w/o consequences. And you’re suffering those consequences at the moment.

Tell me the make & model of the two routers and I'll show you how to get them working together so you don't have this problem.

RolandVet

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Still the same results, nu internet...

Windows IP Configuration

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.72(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : donderdag 11 maart 2010 18:19:23
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : vrijdag 12 maart 2010 18:19:23
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Based on the addressing, I assume that's a 2wire modem+router.

That TCP/IP configuration seems correct. There's no reason that shouldn't work. Make sure only that PC is connected to the 2wire. Then reboot the 2wire and PC and try again.

RolandVet

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
2wire modem+router? You mean the company 2 wire? I live in the netherlands but did not have any luck on dutch forums so I decided to expand my borders. I make use of experia box from kpn more precisely the Thomson Speedtouch 780
The computer was working with the second router but then suddenly stopped functioning. The introduction of the second router was years before the introduction of this 'new' pc. I do not believe it was the router that caused the failure, but some change within the pc... though i can not remember changing anything. The only thing that i think that might have caused failure is overvolting whilst clocking but i am now running on stock speeds and still no internet...

This thread takes new twists and turns with every new post. LOL

The reference to 2wire was just a guess. Many ppl in this forum are using a 2wire DSL modem+router device, who then want to use their own router in place of the 2wire. In order to do that, they need to disable the DHCP server on the new router so it doesn't conflict w/ the DHCP server on the 2wire. Or even better, reconfigure the 2wire for "bridge" mode and that will have the same effect. And as it happens, 2wire uses the 192.168.1.254 IP address for itself. So all the pieces seemed to suggest this was your circumstances.

Anyway, then for all I know you had your modem+router AND the additional router configured properly, particularly if you've been using it this way for YEARS. But the principles still apply. You can only have multiple DHCP server on the same network. And based on some of your first IPCONFIG dumps, it appears you were getting a mix of information from both routers (specifically that case when you had a Default Gateway of 192.168.123.254 and DNS of 192.168.1.1). That makes no sense. That suggests information that’s coming from conflicting sources since those addresses are not even on the same network.

So I’m a bit lost here about where you are and what you’re trying to do w/ that second router. Or whether it is or isn’t an issue. It’s very difficult to troubleshoot these problems under the best of circumstances. But if you’ve created some complex configuration based on this second router, then you need to be much more detailed about why you’re using it, how it’s configured, what’s attached to it vs. the other router, is it attached to the network via WAN or LAN, etc.

Right now I’d be happy to see that one pc connected over the modem+router (nothing else) and working, then work from there.

RolandVet

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Connecting through the second router was never my question. Sorry if i did not make this clear in my first post.

The complete story is that we had a working connection between the two routers and our two or three computers. Internet was working fine and each computer, though on different os's could connect to the network (eventually) and could share files. Then as soon as one of our computers failed we decided to buy a new one. This was immediately an upgrade from xp to 7. With this update we lost the ability to use our wireless dongle. Before I confuse you, the other pc always ran on a wire. The other ran wirelesly because there was no ethernet jack in the wall near to the pc.
Yet to maintain internet connection we purchased a ethernet wire. This new cable worked perfectly and without issues with the new pc. Happy downloading at this end. Then suddenly my internet connection slows on the 7 while working fine on the vista. Newsgroup connections could only be made at certain moments (random) and internet browsing failed frequently. The only thing going strong was uTor. By resetting the router we could browse the web again. Then the internet took a turn for the worst. Suddenly even uTor stopped its activities and it seemed nothing could be downloaded any more. My initial fear was that i had hit a download limit but further investigation showed my provider did not have one.

Hence I started these topics to get my internet working again.

Again apologies if i was vague in the beginning. I hope i cleared it up with this reply.

sturm

Splendid
I would turn off IPv6 as I have had problems with it working with IPv4 equipment.
Have you set the network type on the Win 7 machine to private instead of public?
Your IP configuration looks correct and should work.