Question Internet Connection Drops Every 30-90 minutes

Feb 23, 2019
I am losing my mind on this one. When I play PC games that require a constant internet connection (The Division, Monster Hunter World, Destiny 2), I get random network disconnects. The game crashes, I restart, and I am fine for a while.

Details:
  • Wired Connection
  • Set stopwatch, and it is typically at the 30 minute mark almost exactly. Sometimes I am good for up to an hour and a half.
  • Only on this device. My girlfriend has no issues on her PC (wifi)
What I have tried (in no particular order):

• Setup port forwarding/opened ports per Ubisoft's recommendations for the Division (this doesn't make sense, as my girlfriend can play fine?)
  • New NIC Card
  • Reset PC, reinstalled all software
  • DNS Flush
  • Checked ipconfig, lease expiration doesn't sync up with my issue
  • Un/reinstall ethernet adapter drivers
  • Called ISP, they found no issues
  • New port on router
  • New cable
I am about to give this rig a viking funeral. Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Leave a constant ping run to the router ip in the background. If that one is fine leave a constant ping run to some common internet ip like 8.8.8.8.

If you get the loss to 8.8.8.8 ip and not your router then you have a actual internet issue. If both work then something in your pc is telling lies and just blaming the network.

Be sure to uninstall any "gamer" network accelerator software. These come with motherboards. For killer chipset you must actually install a different driver to remove the feature.

Feb 23, 2019
Okay, ran both tests.

To router:
Sent= 1941, received=1941
Approx round trip times:
min=0ms, max=4ms, avg=0ms

To 8.8.8.8:
Sent=3202, received=3201
Approx round trip times:
Min=5ms, Max = 22ms, Avg= 5ms

Feb 23, 2019
But multiple games have this issue, and my girlfriend has no issues on the same network (though she is on WiFi). The games all have their own error message, but it is always general network related.

These are really hard to find because it can be almost anything in the machine causing it. Your girlfriend not having issues also indicates it is not really a network problem.

Problem is lets say a video driver hangs for a tiny amount of time. During that time network data is still being received but if the game does not actually take the data it will exceed the buffer and be discarded. So the game blames it on network loss when the actual problem is the game took too long to look for the data and incorrectly blamed the network. This is only 1 example there are many. I have seen people claim they fix network issues by adjusting video setting which makes no sense really but It does appear to be true in some cases.

Now it could be a strange network issue with the nic drivers that only occur with games. Be sure you do not have any of the so called "gamer" lan software installed.