[SOLVED] Internet connection drops randomly

ANTFKBA

Commendable
May 30, 2020
I have this issue where every few days my internet connection will drop for a few seconds maybe like 2-8sec and come back and then be fine for a little bit only to do it again. The wierd thing is that it seems like its only happening to my PC and not other people's devices around the house. I can usually fix it by restarting my router a couple of times but that can take anywhere from like 2min to 15min so its an annoying process to go through. Im connected with cable via ethernet ports in the wall that then lead to my router.

Solution
Its connected via cable to an ethernet port in the wall that then goes to my router, And yes next time it happens i will make sure to try that. If i remember correctly when it happens and i try to access my routers webpage it cant connect so maybe like one of the cables are a bit loose? oh well i guess we will find out in a few days.
In wall cabling is the first thing that needs to be checked. If you can, you might want to reterminate both ends.
Since you are not knowledgeable with network cabling, you might want to get somebody to help.
When you have in-wall cabling, getting a simple cable tester like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Klein-VDV526-052-Scout-Junior-Tester/dp/B004CI9NRM can help.

kanewolf

Titan
I have this issue where every few days my internet connection will drop for a few seconds maybe like 2-8sec and come back and then be fine for a little bit only to do it again. The wierd thing is that it seems like its only happening to my PC and not other people's devices around the house. I can usually fix it by restarting my router a couple of times but that can take anywhere from like 2min to 15min so its an annoying process to go through. Im connected with cable via ethernet ports in the wall that then lead to my router.
Is your connection via a wired or wireless connection?
If it is JUST your PC then you need to do more detective work. Can you ping your router IP address when your "internet" drops?
Can you ping 8.8.8.8 ?

ANTFKBA

Commendable
May 30, 2020
Its connected via cable to an ethernet port in the wall that then goes to my router, And yes next time it happens i will make sure to try that. If i remember correctly when it happens and i try to access my routers webpage it cant connect so maybe like one of the cables are a bit loose? oh well i guess we will find out in a few days.

ANTFKBA

Commendable
May 30, 2020
I dont know all the technical terms and whatnot but basically there is one cable from my PC's port to the wall and then from the wall to some centerconsole looking thingie and then from that in to the router itself.

kanewolf

Titan
In wall cabling is the first thing that needs to be checked. If you can, you might want to reterminate both ends.
Since you are not knowledgeable with network cabling, you might want to get somebody to help.
When you have in-wall cabling, getting a simple cable tester like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Klein-VDV526-052-Scout-Junior-Tester/dp/B004CI9NRM can help.

Solution

ANTFKBA

Commendable
May 30, 2020
OK, so it happend again today it was just for a few seconds tho so i didnt have enough time to try and ping but i changed to the other ethernet port so if it doesnt happen again i can assume that the port or cable i originally used is faulty or loose right?

ANTFKBA

Commendable
May 30, 2020
1 week update, So after i swapped to a different ethernet port it seems to have fixed the issues i was having. Im suspecting that maybe faulty/loose wiring could have been what caused it to happen if the first place, maybe? anyways i will come back and post an update if it happens again.