Question Internet connection freezing; may be a hardware related issue

notasandwich

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I recently transferred over all my parts to a new case and reinstalled Windows 10 64 bit home edition to a new SSD. I've begun noticing that the computer will go into these periods where all internet activity ceases and anything I am doing just freezes or doesn't load. I apparently still have internet during these periods as I am often times connect via rdp to my office computer; which does not lose it's connection and works normally. This normally goes away on it's own after a few minutes.

I had assumed this was somehow related to the CPU overheating as I had checked the temp using Speedfan and it read as 128C and the case fans where making a lot of noise. I opened it to make sure I hadn't forgotten to plug in something but no; the CPU and system fans where plugged in and functioning normally. I also checked Speccy but the CPU temp there read as below 50C; so I have no idea what's actually going on. What could be going on?

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate(MS-7850)
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K
GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti (EVGA)
RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
Storage:
2794GB Western Digital WDC WD30EZRZ-00GXCB0 (SATA )
465GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB (SATA (SSD))
PSU: BFGTech 650w. Not sure about the condition but it is close to if not more than a decade old.
Network adaptors is whatever the motherboard has.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Likely not temperature related because that would not go away on its own. And if it did go away so to speak then you would probably see more fan activity etc. bringing about some cooling down.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

What network adapter are you using? Are the drivers up to date?

Could also be an update of some sort going on or being attempted and perhaps failing for one reason or another.

Look in Reliability History for any error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the periods of inactivity. Event Viewer will provide similar information but is not as user friendly.

You can use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (just only one or the at a time) to observe system performance. The trade-off is that you will need to have the window open and dragged to one side of the screen to continuously monitor what the system is doing. Hopefully that window will not also freeze up as well.

notasandwich

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I've never really used Resource Monitor or Task Manager to the extent that you are describing so I don't know what I would be looking out for. I did update the Network adaptor and GPU drivers and the reliability history did not show anything significant (other than a failed update to Skype and Xbox Gaming overlay; neither of which I ever use).