[SOLVED] Internet connection gets capped if I don't restart my router. I also lose connection randomly for a minute or so.

Worius

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2016
This started being a problem for a month now, but as time goes it becomes more frequent.

My internet gets capped at exactly 1mb/s and after I restart my router, it goes back to 7mb/s where it should be.

Randomly, throughout the day I lose the connection as it goes:
My internet goes off
A second later, it comes back on for a fraction
Internet goes off again
Followed by a complete signal cut off (I don't see red or green light on the wan indicator)
Couple of seconds after, it becomes red which means that I have connection but internet doesn't work
30+ seconds or rarely more than a minute, it comes back

Sometimes, it might repeat the same process after some minutes.
It doesn't matter if I have zero wireless users or not.
I have only one PC connected to it with LAN.
I feel like it happens mostly when I'm playing a game or downloading.
It doesn't happen all day, just 2-3 times at random hours.
ISP confirms that I lose full signal as well.
Is it my router or something up with my ISP?

I'm using:
TP-LINK Wireless N Gigabit Router WR1043ND

Solution
In computer world, we have something called checksum or hashing, or dat signature. This is kind of algorithm is used for checking if for example a bunch of data is transferred right(not corrupted).

So in networking, since noise is everywhere and happens, each data you send and receive, your modem generates-sends and checks checksum of given/sent data for integrity.

One of these algorithms known as CRC, which is so common in networking.

Your modem works smart, if it sees some CRC, then it thinks, maybe a lower bandwidth could reduce the errors, so it reduces the bandwidth(speed).

So this is (could be) the reason when you restart your modem, you have great bandwidth, but after a while you get lower and lower as errors(bad CRC) come...
Sep 28, 2019
In computer world, we have something called checksum or hashing, or dat signature. This is kind of algorithm is used for checking if for example a bunch of data is transferred right(not corrupted).

So in networking, since noise is everywhere and happens, each data you send and receive, your modem generates-sends and checks checksum of given/sent data for integrity.

One of these algorithms known as CRC, which is so common in networking.

Your modem works smart, if it sees some CRC, then it thinks, maybe a lower bandwidth could reduce the errors, so it reduces the bandwidth(speed).

So this is (could be) the reason when you restart your modem, you have great bandwidth, but after a while you get lower and lower as errors(bad CRC) come and come.

Here, I have the same scenario, I usually get X-MB start speed, but as times roll, I get much less X-MB for sure, which is normal.

So this is why I asked you to check your network with another modem(if possible) to see if it happens.

One good shielded wire could result in less and less CRC errors, and it means more stable networking with good bandwidth. A bad network, will generates too much noise and CRC errors, so modem will finally restart itself/its-service, and be hopeful to get better quality of service.

Be patient, please check stuffs on by one.

Hope it helps.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS