Question Internet connection in a Student Residence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 3, 2022
Hi, i recently moved to a student residence and ive been having some huge lag spikes.

Hopefully someone can help me out cause this is unbearable

Usually im at 40ms and it spikes sometimes to over 1000ms. I pinged google in cmd and its good most of the time and sometimes the request times out or jumps to 300ms+ for a couple of seconds.
On dls report i tried to do the speed test, download got like 150mbps and on upload about 200mbps , also it says im behind a proxy.
I noticed upload bufferbloat is huge.
I dont think there is a way i can access the router to do anything?

Also, i do have ethernet and im still spiking so its not a wifi problem, im on a laptop so i even got both on, dont know if that helps.

Is there really nothing i can do?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, i recently moved to a student residence and ive been having some huge lag spikes.

Hopefully someone can help me out cause this is unbearable

Usually im at 40ms and it spikes sometimes to over 1000ms. I pinged google in cmd and its good most of the time and sometimes the request times out or jumps to 300ms+ for a couple of seconds.
On dls report i tried to do the speed test, download got like 150mbps and on upload about 200mbps , also it says im behind a proxy.
I noticed upload bufferbloat is huge.
I dont think there is a way i can access the router to do anything?

Also, i do have ethernet and im still spiking so its not a wifi problem, im on a laptop so i even got both on, dont know if that helps.

Is there really nothing i can do?
There is not much you can do since you don't control the network. Buy yourown internet connection. Cellular might be your only option and it is not optimal for gaming.

Nov 3, 2022
There is not much you can do since you don't control the network. Buy yourown internet connection. Cellular might be your only option and it is not optimal for gaming.
Does cellular usually spike? and is ping too bad? At the moment only game im playing is Lost ark which i dont need crazy good ping on. But freezing for a whole 3-5 seconds is annoying

Bufferbloat is one of those gamer myths. They hear a fancy word and think it is important. Bufferbloat is a very good thing for every application except online gaming. In addition the testing site is not really testing bufferbloat since it will attempt to overload even the fastest connection. It is used to see if you have configured the special form of QoS correctly, but key here is it only matters if your connection is at 100% utilization.

In your case that may actually be the case that you have short periods of 100% utilization. When you have a lot of people sharing a internet connection that is fairly small...ie the 150mbps you seem to have...it is possible there are just too many people trying to do things at the same time. It also can be as simple as someone is downloading files a lot. Your more common applications do not use much bandwidth. You could even have 3 or 4 people watching different stuff on 4k netflix and it would not hurt a 150mbps internet connection.

You have no way to tell when you do not control the router and could even see what traffic you get. Even if you knew some person was running torrent 24x7 you do not have the ability to do anything about it since most so called solution require putting some kind of limitation on people traffic in the router.

This in the end comes down to some agreement between all the people sharing the internet connection. Configurations on the router are just a way to enforce these agreements. If the landlord will not take responsibility you are not going to get very far. College students tends to be very selfish .

Cell plans do get spikes kinda for the same reason you are having issues. The bandwidth on the cell tower is shared and even worse the load changes as people in cars move from cell tower to cell tower. Question would be more is it worse that what you currently have. If you are in a area with a very strong signal it will mostly work to play games but you will still see spikes because of changing load. If the cell tower you use is very over crowded it might not work well. Completely unpredictable. I have used it in a remote area where there was not much other internet option and it worked ok I suspect because there were not a lot of other people on the tower but it was expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS