[SOLVED] Internet connection is slower a few seconds after Windows start ?

Dec 9, 2021
Hello,
This is kinda weird but after I start my PC I have 500mbit/s for a few seconds but when I test my speed 30 sec later it goes down to 70-75mbit/s on the google speedtest. AVM test shows around 120mbit/s. I tried disabling all power related options in device manager and router but it didnt change anything except that it recreates the issue because the adapter restarts.

I also went through this guide: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/easy-fix-windows-10-slow-internet/ but it didnt help either, except that turning off auto-tuning level reduces my bandwith to 20mbit/s. Network usage is below 1%, so I am pretty sure there is no other service using the remaining ~400mbit/s.

My Harware specs are: i7 9700k, asus z390f, rtx 2070. Connected via onboard Lan. Every driver is updated.
Router is a FritzBox 7583 connected via DSL NetCologne. 2 other devices are connected via WLan but they are both idle.
I would really appreciate any help.

[removed referring link]

Edit: Now this is getting really weird: When I open my task manager while doing google speedtest speed is at 500mbit/s. When its closed its back to ~70. I did this like 10 times now because I couldnt believe what I am seeing...

Last edited:
Solution
How much bandwidth do you buy from your ISP. 500mbps is kinda fast if the connection is really DSL, most dsl is under 100mbps.

If you look at the status of the ethernet port in your PC does it say it running at 1gbit or 100mbps. Does this change when it gets slower.

I would try another device and see if it get the speed you buy from your ISP. Even a phone on wifi should get more than the 70-75mbps. This is see if it is your PC or maybe you have a internet issue. If this is not possible you could try a USB linux boot image. These run 100% off the USB stick and most have chrome installed by default so you could run a normal speedtest. Problem is it just confirms it is some setting in windows causing it but does not...
Dec 9, 2021
Could be some malware. When was the last time you ran a virus scan?
I did a scan with malwarebytes yesterday but there were 0 warnings. I also downloaded netlimiter to check exactly whats using my internet but nothing suspicious shows up and when I log into my fritzbox the bandwith monitor doesnt show any activity either.

How much bandwidth do you buy from your ISP. 500mbps is kinda fast if the connection is really DSL, most dsl is under 100mbps.

If you look at the status of the ethernet port in your PC does it say it running at 1gbit or 100mbps. Does this change when it gets slower.

I would try another device and see if it get the speed you buy from your ISP. Even a phone on wifi should get more than the 70-75mbps. This is see if it is your PC or maybe you have a internet issue. If this is not possible you could try a USB linux boot image. These run 100% off the USB stick and most have chrome installed by default so you could run a normal speedtest. Problem is it just confirms it is some setting in windows causing it but does not help find it. It does rule out hardware and network issues though.

Solution
Dec 9, 2021

I would try another device and see if it get the speed you buy from your ISP. Even a phone on wifi should get more than the 70-75mbps. This is see if it is your PC or maybe you have a internet issue. If this is not possible you could try a USB linux boot image. These run 100% off the USB stick and most have chrome installed by default so you could run a normal speedtest. Problem is it just confirms it is some setting in windows causing it but does not help find it. It does rule out hardware and network issues though.

Seems like I was wrong, its not DSL. I thought VDSL is up to 1gbit/s but its only 100mbit/s. But anyway all other device gets up to 500 mbit/s and the router also shows 549mbit/s. When I rightclick the adapter and go to status it also says 1Gbps. I will try a linux usb tomorrow morning, thanks for the tip.