Internet connection issues

eeyorelover

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I just bought a second hand computer and I'm definitely not knowledgeable enough to figure this out myself so here I am

First off the problem.....
It won't connect to the internet.

I am trying to connect via cable modem directly connected to the tower through one of the PCI jacks in the back. There are two.
No router or anything.

The computer (I think) is Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4200.

The Motherboard says M2n-SLI deluxe which from google searching I think is ASUS.

If I go into internet connections it only shows 1394 connection.

So I thought maybe I need to download a driver for it but since I have no internet connection on that computer, I downloaded it from my other computer onto a thumb drive and it said something about no hardware detected.

Can anyone give me any ideas?? Please remember I'm a complete novice when it comes to the components and do not speak computer tech. I'm trying but so far I'm clueless
xxx
Sandy

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Nvidia Chipset Driver Package V9.19 for Windows 2000/XP/XP MCE/2003

I believe this is the one that has the NIC drivers. Go to the chipset option. There should be one for SATA and the other is as above. Try installing that and see how you go.

eeyorelover

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I downloaded it and ran it on the other computer. Went into Bios and both onboard nVidia LAN things say enabled but still only 1394 is showing under network connections.
This is one of those times when I wish there were computer classes when I was in school ;) LOL