Internet connection keeps dropping but wireless network seems to be okay

kanjigirl

Honorable
Apr 10, 2014
This has been happening for about 2 weeks, and happens now 2-3 times every day.

We have two Windows 7 computers connected to a wireless Netgear WNDR3400v2 router, and a Motorola SB5101U modem. Randomly, web pages stop loading in both machines simultaneously - in Chrome we get the 'webpage not available' error. But the connection strength shows as 'excellent' and Windows says we have internet access.

Cycling the router/modem does not seem to help - pages start loading again generally after 5-10 minutes whether or not we cycle everything.

The lights on the modem show Internet connection throughout the blank pages.

I don't know how to tell if it's the router, or the modem, or our ISP - what should I do next? The problem seems to be getting worse.

Solution
You need to start slowly ruling things out. This may even be a computer or cable issue not just with the router or modem. First, check for a firmware update on the router, many check for firmware soon as you connect to the configuration page.

Test one system only for a day, if no issues, test the other. If that is also good, test both. Try different network cables and try different ports on the router. If you continue to lose connection with those tests, by-pass the router and connect a computer to the modem, test things again for a while. If that also causes loss of internet, contact the ISP. If that works fine, go back to using the router, if the issue starts again, the router is the issue, get it replaced.
You need to start slowly ruling things out. This may even be a computer or cable issue not just with the router or modem. First, check for a firmware update on the router, many check for firmware soon as you connect to the configuration page.

Test one system only for a day, if no issues, test the other. If that is also good, test both. Try different network cables and try different ports on the router. If you continue to lose connection with those tests, by-pass the router and connect a computer to the modem, test things again for a while. If that also causes loss of internet, contact the ISP. If that works fine, go back to using the router, if the issue starts again, the router is the issue, get it replaced.

Solution

satxrebel2020

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014
I agree with hang-the-9. It does not hurt to call your ISP's customer service as soon as the issue happens as they can test everything on their end and remotely access your modem. I have had these issues before. At one point field mice got into our ISP's box outside and chewed some of the wire causing random connection drops (but in this case the lights went out on the modem when it dropped), at one point our modem just started giving out and our ISP said that it was not recieving nor transmitting a complete signal to them(all modem lights were fine) and they replaced the modem which solved it. Now the router we have is the issue. It is a lower end model rated only for three simoultaneous connections and we have 6. Oddly enough my laptop constantly has the issue of once or twice a day losing internet connection even though diagnostics say everything is fine. Rebooting the modem and router and the same time fixes it. I have had the same issue although rare with other devices but my laptop always pulls the most bandwidth :)

Not-so-techy

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Thanks for the quick replies. My main worry is that its only a problem on my laptop...there's 3 other laptops at home being used and they don't face this issue ....thoughts on this?

Are you the same person in the original post?
According to that first post there are two computers and both have the issue. If something changed we need some more details.

If you are not the same person please start your own post.