Question Internet connection keeps dropping out when playing certain games

May 26, 2019
Hi guys.
Title kind of says it all.

So need a bit of help,
I’m not brilliant at dealing with networks etc so need a bit of a step by step what to do with an issue I’ve got.

Since the latest patch whenever I play overwatch on PC my internet connection drops out after about 20 mins. Not had any issues like this before, but it’s making things unplayable.
I’ve done a quick google and there was an old thread with this problem on the forums before but just lots of people saying ‘fix it bliz’
Am not sure if it’s blizzards issue or one on my end so wanting some advice on what to do.

I’ve got a dsl connection and a tp link wireless router. I’m in the UK.
I play over a wireless connection because of space in the house, but like I said, never had an issue before.
I’ve tried power cycling the router. Also dug out an old WiFi extender and used an Ethernet cable from that to PC.
When the game drops the connection, the router drops connection to the internet, so no internet on phones/tablets etc. Resets after a few mins by its self.

It’s not happening at any other time that I can tell. My wife sat and played Civ 6 for a good few hours the other night without any problems.
I’ve got overwatch on Xbox as well so might try playing on that and see what happens.

Only things I can think of recently that have changed is that we had a massive storm about a month ago which ended up in a power surge that blew up our old router. But I’ve changed it and the adsl filter and it’s worked fine for a couple of weeks.

I’ve also recently switched to a Razer Mamba mouse and installed the latest version of Razer synapse. Don’t know if it’s just me but it did feel like the game was a bit more laggy since then, but not 100% sure on that.

Like I said, bit lost when it comes to networks so not sure what to try next.

Anyone got any advice, and if poss if fairly lay man terms!

Cheers

May 26, 2019
So I tried playing on Xbox, no probs at all.
Don’t know what that means for how/why I’m having issues on PC, other than I guess it eliminates a hardware problem/ISP prob.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS