Internet Connection Problem

n_lacava

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
Hello everyone. I decided to post a thread somewhere because I can't find a fix anywhere. Recently with my new Toshiba Windows 8 Laptop, everything has been excellent. However, there's a problem with the connection. I am connected to my homes wireless network, but every 5 or so minutes, the internet will just drop; it will say I'm still connected, but I can't do anything online. This happens only on my laptop, not 2 other ones or the home computer. I don't think it's my ISP itself, but I won't rule it out of the question. Any help is appreciated.

n_lacava

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
When I troubleshoot the adapter it says it fixed a problem but I tried it before and it didn't seem to work. Should I do it again? And to fix the problem I just wait about 3 minutes and refresh the page, it's usually up by then.

n_lacava

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
I've restarted the router multiple times, also the other three computers (two of which are laptops) don't seem to be having this problem..
P.S- Those other computers don't have Windows 8, could it be a problem with windows 8?

BadAsAl

Distinguished
If I were you I would do a complete "reboot" on all your network gear:
Unplug the power from the modem, if it has the coax cable also unplug that (you will have coax if you have cable and not DSL)
Unplug the power from the router.
Wait 2 minutes
Plug the power back into the modem and plug the coax back in as well (if applicable)
Wait 2 minutes
Plug router back in and let it power up

Now I would remove the security from the router or just do a factory reset on the router. Goal here is to have a totally unsecured WiFi network to connect to.

See if your new Windows 8.1 laptop connects and gets online like it is supposed to.
If it works, then try setting up your WEP encryption again and see if the problem comes back. If it does, then WEP is not going to work for you anymore and you will need to either run unsecured (not recommended) or try using WPA or WPA2. Now if it works with the WPA or WPA2, then you are going to have to get the other laptops setup with the new security which can be a challenge especially if laptops are older.

Let me know how it goes!