Question Internet connection question

becominq

Reputable
Nov 27, 2017
Not really a category for this, but I was just wondering, should it matter whether or not I have my PC hooked up ethernet to router vs ethernet straight to modem?

I believe the most common way is through the router but I am receiving much better and more stable ping through the modem even though my router is newer.

If you are having a better connection directly to your NTD/Modem then itll be an issue with your router, if its cheap just FR it and try again, if its more expensive, youll need to check logs, do a few trace routes etc

Your question is a little vague to me though, i.e youd need to set up your pc with a static ip to connect directly to the NTD or if its a modem using pppoe you cant with direct pc without dialing/authenticating first and you need a dsl port

Your router just gives dhcp, dns etc for easier access/user experience. (Keeping it extremely short)

Thats why a static ip on the pc connected to NTD will work no problem

tl;dr you shouldnt have issues either way or one be better than the other without an actual fault or one piece of hardware is out dated/etc etc

TRENDING THREADS