[SOLVED] Internet Connection won't work unless my Vypr VPN connection is turned on

Jan 23, 2019
I have today updated my Vypr VPN application to the newest version (2.16.2) after being prompted to do so. However after doing so my laptop has been unable to connect to the internet unless my VPN connection is turned on. I'm not sure what would have caused this issue but it seems to be the VPN.
I have tried resetting my laptop and router, as well as making sure all DNS connection settings are set to obtain DNS server addresses automatically. Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
This is a huge issue for VPN clients. I would see if you can uninstall the VPN client and if your internet works. It is not uncommon for it still not to work even after you uninstall the vpn clients. Generally if you can uninstall it and reinstall it they tend to fix themselves.

This is likely a good question to search for on the support forum for the vpn provider if they have one

I completely stopped using client based VPN and only load vpn on routers after the only way I could figure out how to fix a machine was to reinstall windows. When you use router based ones nothing is actually installed only some configuration files.

It would be really nice if Microsoft included a OpenVPN client as part of windows so you do not...
This is a huge issue for VPN clients. I would see if you can uninstall the VPN client and if your internet works. It is not uncommon for it still not to work even after you uninstall the vpn clients. Generally if you can uninstall it and reinstall it they tend to fix themselves.

This is likely a good question to search for on the support forum for the vpn provider if they have one

I completely stopped using client based VPN and only load vpn on routers after the only way I could figure out how to fix a machine was to reinstall windows. When you use router based ones nothing is actually installed only some configuration files.

It would be really nice if Microsoft included a OpenVPN client as part of windows so you do not have to install crap from every VPN provider you even want to try out.

Solution
If you played around with a setting to force all traffic through the VPN it might have created permanent routes or it's not removing the routes it created when you close the vpn connection.

Disable the app on startup and restart your computer. If the routes are permanent then you will have to remove them 1 by 1.

In the terminal type the below and you will see routes that go into your vpn interface. Those shouldn't be there when the VPN is off if you want to use the internet.

route print