[SOLVED] Internet cuts out a few time a day

johnr283

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2013
My internet cuts out a few time a day. Power cycling my modem and router makes it work again. When it went out, windows troubleshooter found that the "IP does not have valid configuration". I upgraded my router from a Linksys E1000 to a Netgear Nighthawk AC2300. Now the error is "DNS server is not responding".

I contacted my ISP they said the modem is fine and they show that it hasn't gone offline at all. They won't help with the router unless I rent it from them.

Solution
First run tracert to some common ip like 8.8.8.8. Your goal is only to get the IP address of the ISP router. This is likely hop2.

Now leave a constant ping run to that ip in a background windows. You should also leave a constant ping run to your router IP in a second window. If your router always responds then your pc and router are fine and you actually are losing the internet connection. The ISP maybe jerks and still try to blame the router. You would then need to plug into the modem directly and leave a ping run to the ISP router. It should be the same IP and be hop 1 if your ran a trace.
First run tracert to some common ip like 8.8.8.8. Your goal is only to get the IP address of the ISP router. This is likely hop2.

Now leave a constant ping run to that ip in a background windows. You should also leave a constant ping run to your router IP in a second window. If your router always responds then your pc and router are fine and you actually are losing the internet connection. The ISP maybe jerks and still try to blame the router. You would then need to plug into the modem directly and leave a ping run to the ISP router. It should be the same IP and be hop 1 if your ran a trace.

Solution

johnr283

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2013
I'm a little confused. I ran tracert to 8.8.8.8.. The first line is my routers IP
The second line is * * * Request timed out.
Lines 3-11 show different IP's from my ISP
Line 12 is from google.

Which IP's should I run a continuous ping to?

Last edited: