Internet cuts out for browsing but not for Skype or watching streams

NaiS

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
I need help. My internet cuts out, but not completely. It shuts down enough that I can't browse on any browser on my computer (Chrome,Firefox,Explorer) NONE of them can search any site BUT i can still talk on skype and watch TWITCH.TV gaming streams and occasionally watch youtube videos. It usually cuts out for 2-5 mins and varies when it will happen again but it happens daily frequently during the day. Just curious if anyone knows whats up because not even my cable company knows and they will be sending a tech to check it out in a couple of days.

wacabletech

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
That's your computer, possible DNS issue if skype and Twitch TV have direct IP's in their configs [never used wither so], possibly the browsers have a proxy they are supposd to be using that you are shutting off or something, many possibilities.

recommendations

run a virus scanner AVG and avast are FREE if you do not already have one on your computer, make sure it UPDATES the definition files which ever one you use. I prefer avast over AVG anymore as AVG has become bloat ware like its more well known commercial counterparts Norton and McAfee.

After that you might snag lavasoft's malware scanner and let it run as well.

First thing to try thought is boot in safe mode and see if it happens there. [I assume this is windows as mac and unix users generally tell you ].