Question Internet cutting out every 30 seconds

Eli_15

Reputable
Jul 15, 2017
Although I have DSL internet, the consoles at my house play flawless, as well as the other PC in my house that is used by my two brothers for roblox and stuff. I have mainly been playing CSGO and rust and they both cut out just as frequently, these cutouts also affect discord. I have tried swapping ethernet cables and I do not have a wireless card. I have done many virus scans with malwarebytes and my motherboard (Gigabyte Z370 HD3) is fairly new, bought around may last year with my new i7 8700 and my 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 RAM.

The internet generally cuts out for around 5 seconds but sometimes it cuts out for longer which generally disconnects me from any game. This didn't happen at my old house, we just moved here a month ago but the issue just started last week. I have even tried swapping modems but this doesn't work. Generally, my internet works fine between these cutouts, with me getting around 30-50 ping in most games. This is getting extremely annoying as I am sick of not being able to play any of my pc games.

(I'm using windows 10)

I hope someone can help me fix this, thank you.

Since you don't see the drop in service on the consoles, it would seem the issue is in your house ... but I wonder if the consoles are a bit more tolerant to the drops. I think step 1 is find out where the problem is.

Open 3 command prompts side by side. In each start a ping (ping -t x.x.x.x) to 1. google.com ... 2. your modem/router ... 3. another computer in the house (that is turned on).
If all 3 pings show the drops, then you have a network issue in your house. If only google and the modem show the issue, it might be with your modem. If only google shows the issue, then the problem is likely with your ISP.

Eli_15

Reputable
Jul 15, 2017
Since you don't see the drop in service on the consoles, it would seem the issue is in your house ... but I wonder if the consoles are a bit more tolerant to the drops. I think step 1 is find out where the problem is.

Open 3 command prompts side by side. In each start a ping (ping -t x.x.x.x) to 1. google.com ... 2. your modem/router ... 3. another computer in the house (that is turned on).
If all 3 pings show the drops, then you have a network issue in your house. If only google and the modem show the issue, it might be with your modem. If only google shows the issue, then the problem is likely with your ISP.
I'll give that a shot in the morning but I wouldn't have a clue on how to get the IP of the other computer and am also unsure if you just have to ping the default gateway to check on the router or not, thanks for you help.

(Although I just tested it with my 192.168.0.1 and google.com and both dropped out.)

Eli_15

Reputable
Jul 15, 2017

Just ran both the google and router test side-by-side to my laptop (while it was connected by ethernet, also one of the ethernet cables I have tried on my desktop) and my desktop cut out while my laptop didn't, is there any way to fix this?

Eli_15

Reputable
Jul 15, 2017
Tried pinging the IPv4 Address of my laptop while it was connected by ethernet and I got this message.

"Pinging 192.168.0.4 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.4:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),"

I double checked that they are on the same network and have the same subnet mask and default gateway but am not even sure if this is how you are meant to do it. I tried this multiple times and got the same outcome.

For future info ... if you enter "ipconfig" or "ipconfig /all" at a command prompt, it will give a you a bunch of network information (including a computer's IP address).

If you ping 192.168.0.1 (which I assume is your router/modem and you directly plugged into it ... ie, no equipment between your computer and the router/modem) and your computer is getting dropped packets, but other computers with the same setup are not, then the issue is probably with your computer. The exception would be if the issue is with your Ethernet cable (you have already tried others, so unlikely) or the port on the router/modem that you plug into.

What could be going wrong with your computer?
Hardware ... a bad port, such that the connectors are not making good contact. If this is the case, you will normally see the connection LED (not the activity LED, which blinks rapidly) on the port going out and then coming back on. Could also be failing electronics.
Software ... wrong driver or corrupt driver installation. Other software that is interfering (sometimes software that advertises it will make your LAN better actually doesn't). Some motherboards will allow you to test your Ethernet from BIOS, which would bypass any software.