Aug 9, 2018
So I have xfinity as my internet provider and currently pay for 60 mb/s (not sure if that matters in this case), however I have days where I'm playing games (usually Rocket League) and my internet cuts out randomly every 5 minutes or so and the only solution I've found is to alt-tab and disconnect/reconnect to my WiFi and then alt-tab back into the game. I've tried alt-tabbing by itself but it doesn't fix it; I have to DC and reconnect for it to work again. I'm only one room over from my router and use an ASUS pcie wifi card (This one) which has pretty good reviews. Obviously I'm aware that wired connections are preferred, however that's not really an option for me so I'm stuck with WiFi. Could this just be normal or is there some sort of issue with my router/WiFi card? Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
it can be the modem failing or just acting up, it can be the internet provider having network difficulties, it can be other devices connected locally using bandwidth, it can be your hardware not functioning correctly. maybe it is just a momentary reoccurring problem so by the time you alt-tab and back it has already corrected itself so reconnecting appears to have fixed it.

connect by ethernet to the modem and test if the connection is just as buggy.
have another wireless device connect via wi-fi and run some long downloads or uploads and test if it also cuts out on this device.
call your internet provider and complain/ask questions. they may state they are having issues in your area. they may say you need a modem upgrade or firmware...
it can be the modem failing or just acting up, it can be the internet provider having network difficulties, it can be other devices connected locally using bandwidth, it can be your hardware not functioning correctly. maybe it is just a momentary reoccurring problem so by the time you alt-tab and back it has already corrected itself so reconnecting appears to have fixed it.

have another wireless device connect via wi-fi and run some long downloads or uploads and test if it also cuts out on this device.
call your internet provider and complain/ask questions. they may state they are having issues in your area. they may say you need a modem upgrade or firmware update.

at&t's wi-fi would cut out randomly for random periods of time. when a technician finally got to the house he said there were upgrades needed in the fiber wiring to the house and that a new modem was available that would also help. has no issues running 5GHz steadily ever since.

Solution
Aug 9, 2018

call your internet provider and complain/ask questions. they may state they are having issues in your area. they may say you need a modem upgrade or firmware update.

at&t's wi-fi would cut out randomly for random periods of time. when a technician finally got to the house he said there were upgrades needed in the fiber wiring to the house and that a new modem was available that would also help. has no issues running 5GHz steadily ever since.
Great, thanks for the reply.