Internet cutting out. Zombies impossible

blakem

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
So I have had this problem for a long time now. I live out in the country and have a wireless setup. There is a radio on my house connected to my router. The radio on my house transmits to a receiver in the middle of the community. There are about four other people with the same service that live next to me. So the internet works pretty good most of the time, but after around 6 pm it starts cutting out. Usually kind of a micro stutter. This makes games like WOW (arenas) or black ops zombies impossible because I will lag out for 10 seconds or more.

This issue happens to all devices connected to the router, so I know its not an issue with my computer. Using ethernet or wifi makes no difference. For example, I'll be playing wow while netflix is playing on my tv via smart blu ray player. I will start lagging on wow and get disconnected from netflix.

I have contacted my ISP a bunch of times. They test it on their side and don't see an issue. So I have been emailing then screenshots of my test results. I'll get 60ms ping, 8mbps DL and 7mbps UL. I will test it right after that and get 160ms ping, 0.75mbps DL and 1.44mbps UL. I have also gotten 12mbps download and pretty good speeds at other times. The issue is this lag spike I will get every minute or so. My ISP doesn't seem to care and I get the same response every time I call. The lady tells me she will pass the info on to the techs. Well they never get back to me and nothing ever changes.

So I guess my question is this. Is there a type of test I can run that will show the lag spikes on some type of graph? Actually any advice in general would be very welcome.
This internet costs me $50 a month and is advertised at 10mbps. I cannot find any other ISP's available.

Windows 8.1
Gtx 970
I5 4690k
8gb of ram
msi gaming 5 m/b

Solution
Sounds very much like you are picking up interference from somewhere at that time.
Since it is a wireless setup, perhaps 6pm is the time when everyone starts using the microwaves? That certainly could interfere with your signal in a big way.
Or perhaps there is another source in the area where you live that seems to spike at around that time.

Or, perhaps, the service is just bad and cannot handle the stress of everyone jumping online at 6pm!
Sounds very much like you are picking up interference from somewhere at that time.
Since it is a wireless setup, perhaps 6pm is the time when everyone starts using the microwaves? That certainly could interfere with your signal in a big way.
Or perhaps there is another source in the area where you live that seems to spike at around that time.

Or, perhaps, the service is just bad and cannot handle the stress of everyone jumping online at 6pm!

Solution