Internet dies when trying to download large files!

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I have now humbled myself to asking the mighty THG Forum for assistance...

I have comcast high speed and I can surf and browse and play BF2 and gamble my life away with texas hold-'em all the live long day but if I start downloading a large file (like the Supreme Commander demo from fileshack) it will get about half-way through and my internet connection will die...and never renew till I reboot windows.

I have a Netgear 5-port Gig switch that was hooked into the modem then my box into that so I tried directly into the modem from my tower. That didn't work. I have dual Gig nic's on my mobo and I tried both of those and it still failed. I tried going into cmd and releasing the IP and renewing the IP and it won't renew. I tried using both Mozilla 2.0 and IE7 and it died.

My specs are below but something tells me this is either a windows issue (since it won't renew but will work once I reboot) or once again, nvidia sold me on a nforce chipset that doesnt work.

AMD X2 4200+
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
2GB DDR400 (2*1GB G.Skill)
evga 8800gts
WinXP Home SP2

Please find it in your hearts to help me...

CPSCCPSC

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
The only time I have had a problem like this was when I had a faulty MSI board. Whenever me and my mates had lans, or I was downloading something, it would hit about 1.5 gigs and then just stop. All traffic would just halt. After a restart it would be fine. Tried rebuilding windows and all the usual troubleshooting and only a replacement mobo fixed the problem.

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Thank you for the reply.

I thought that also but I have been using this board for about 6 months now and it worked just fine up at a friend's house with the same ISP. I did a wipe/re-install of windows recently but I think it was working since then...maybe not. Comcast did all their tests and said it was nothing on their end and all the activity lights on the modem, my nic and/or my switch keep blinking away like there is something going on.

I recently did full sweeps for viruses and spyware and both came up negative. I also use regscrubxp weekly to keep the registry clean.

Oldguy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
One of my boxes is set up similiar to yours with the differences as a 4800+ cpu and 7900 gpu. Some of the real large downloads stalled until I shut down everything except IE7 and XP. Never had a complete crap out like you described though with just large files. Last complete comcast crapout was a faulty splitter from the main cable to the router. Replaced the splitter $3 and used a 36 inch coax from splitter to router to solve the problem. Older Comcast Motorola modems are also not real strong so you may want to go to the cable splitter, disconnect everything, take a 10 minute break and reconnect all. As an experiment, start your download and watch your modem lights. 4th one down shows the on line activity and should be steady green. Anything else and you are losing signal before it gets to your comp which would lead me to believe a cable/splitter/modem problem. If the signal is steady, may be bad ethernet channel on mobo. Good luck.

Oldguy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Also please note. It is never comcast's fault...just ask them. If you get real pushy they can (if they want to) ping your system and tell what speeds are available to you for downloads. If you are unfortunate to be sharing a cable with som commercial users, your bandwidth can get real crowded in a hurry.

Oldguy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
One last thought...if you suspect bad ethernet channel, you might be able to borrow an add in card. or crapshoot $25 to get a cheap one AFTER you try the cheaper cable solutions. A cheap add in may not get you the best speed, but should let you complete the download.

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
yeah I have a nic lying around somewhere I can use, that was an option tonight along with some other things comcast told me. the bad splitter is interesting, its brand-new along with the rca modem from comcast so I will get one from radio shack and try that.

Keep the suggestions coming folks, they are much appreciated!

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
I have now humbled myself to asking the mighty THG Forum for assistance...

I have comcast high speed and I can surf and browse and play BF2 and gamble my life away with texas hold-'em all the live long day but if I start downloading a large file (like the Supreme Commander demo from fileshack) it will get about half-way through and my internet connection will die...and never renew till I reboot windows.

I have a Netgear 5-port Gig switch that was hooked into the modem then my box into that so I tried directly into the modem from my tower. That didn't work. I have dual Gig nic's on my mobo and I tried both of those and it still failed. I tried going into cmd and releasing the IP and renewing the IP and it won't renew. I tried using both Mozilla 2.0 and IE7 and it died.

My specs are below but something tells me this is either a windows issue (since it won't renew but will work once I reboot) or once again, nvidia sold me on a nforce chipset that doesnt work.

AMD X2 4200+
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
2GB DDR400 (2*1GB G.Skill)
evga 8800gts
WinXP Home SP2

Please find it in your hearts to help me...

Drop your MTU size in your router. I have Cox and they changed their system to where I had to drop my MTU size from 1500 to 1436.

Of course, they never told anyone about this effect, or any of their operators about the fix. We have a community message board that have enough intelligent people using it that we figured it out cumulatively.

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
it sounds like a dhcp renewal problem;run disc cleanup from system tools

I was going to say this initially but didn't because networks are not my thing and I didn't want to sound like an idiot in these hallowed forums to be villified and ridiculed till my dying day...but now that you said it I will jump on your coat tails! The dhcp doesn't renew to comcast and that is the issue. I tried a dns flush and reregistered that...maybe I will uninstall my network controller and reinstall it...heaven knows nvidia can't design nforce drivers that work right without screwing other things up.

Drop your MTU size in your router. I have Cox and they changed their system to where I had to drop my MTU size from 1500 to 1436.

I don't have a router, I have the RCA Cable Modem and that's it. I am hooked into it directly right now and when I need a network, I use my Netgear 5 port Gigabit Switch. I will come clean though, I don't know what the hell a MTU size is :lol: but I do know I don't have a router.

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Well after uninstalling the nvidia ethernet controller and reinstalling it, after flushing the dns and reregistering it, after trying both nics on my mobo and after praying to the cable internet gods and sacraficing a virgin nic to them, nothing is working...

im going to try hooking the cable from the wall directly into the modem to see if the splitter is at fault and if that doesnt work then i will get a new modem...and if that doesnt work... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

atarione

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
have you tried a different network cable?

yeah try it without the splitter

when the connection goes down can you still ping the loopback address? (127.0.0.1)

does resetting the cablemodem get the connection going or not?

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
OMG THE WHOLE INTERNET DIES when you download large files!

Reminds me of the jokes the IT made at my highschool when someone said the internet is down. "NO", they'd say, "you're connection the isp has gone down".

kk. Seen the same problem. Just empty your temporary internet files. Make the folder larger, or just remember to clear it more often. Try connecting your modem with the USB cable. It will be a band-aid until nvidia send you get a new nic card, or rma the board.

I switched from crappy adsl to 10mbps cable internet and it fubed my old router, so i happily purchased a d-link 4300, can you believe it, 150 bucks and i'm still happy. You have no idea how much my e-penis grows when i see 1MBps downloads.

I have to ask. Does the internet connection really die? or does it just hang at around 50 to 75% and go really slow right before it stops? If so, my solution will work. If not, talk to comcast, make sure you arent being limited by them. Second, talk to nvidia, see what they suggest. Third, find a wall, place head 8 inches away from said wall, and proceed to hit head on wall.

I know the IT admin guys are busy, but c'mon theres gotta be one here. You guys love being right and by GOD, finally someone will appreciate the typically condescending manner of which you speak. Seriously, the convenience store clerk doesnt give a sh!t what you think of cherry coke and why it should be given a shrine in the holy warehouse of devine soda's!

PS. dont take offense IT guys, i'm just joking around.

ad005

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
I'm thinking the same thing as ZOldDude. I had a similar problem with downloads screwing up half way through or being corrupt if I was lucky enough for them to finish. Try turning off the Nvidia firewall, or go into firewall options and set the Active Armour option to the one that isnt selected by default (sorry, cant see what that one is as at work at the moment!). That fixed my problem anyway! :?

mrmez

Splendid
THE NINJAZ R THWARTING UR MEGANETZ!!!!1111

Blame ur service provider... works for me.
Chuck a sh!t and tell them ur cancelling ur contract (which has hopefully expired)

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
have you tried a different network cable?
I have used 3 different cables, no change.
If your using the Nvidia firewall....don't as it is well known to cuase interupted and/or corrupted downloads on large files.
I used to have a nforce3 board and since reading in forums about nvidia's firewall with that chipset I have not installed nvidia's firewall or network manager since, I don't trust them not to f*k things up.
kk. Seen the same problem. Just empty your temporary internet files. Make the folder larger, or just remember to clear it more often. Try connecting your modem with the USB cable. It will be a band-aid until nvidia send you get a new nic card, or rma the board.
I empty my temp internet folder nearly everyday. Nvidia doesn't make my board (see original post) and my nics are built into the board. I have used my box at my buddies house with the same ISP for years now and never had this issue. My connection cuts off completely and the connection to the dhcp server will not renew, that is the problem.
THE NINJAZ R THWARTING UR MEGANETZ!!!!
I believe you have stumbled across my problem sir, I have had a recent Ninja infestation and the Orkin Man has been stumped as to how to get rid of them...perhaps they are linked...I will investigate :lol: