Question Internet disconnecting approximately every hour

Aug 7, 2019
Hi all,

I'm not a tech person by any means and am struggling to try and fix an issue I've had with my internet. Approximately every hour or so, the internet disconnects. I have to physically turn on/off the router and modem for it to re-connect and works fine again... until approximately an hour later or so where it disconnects again =/

I've tried the simple fix of ensuring that the "client lease time" is set to one day (as opposed to 1 hour).

PC Specs:
Operating System: Windows 10
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8350k CPU @4.00 GHz 4.01 GHz
Wireless Adapter: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC 7260
Router: Wireless G Broadband router 2.4 Ghz 802.11g
Modem: Morotola SB5101N Surfboard Cable Modem

Let me know if any other information is required. Also, it'll be appreciated if you could explain step by step as what to do as I'm not well versed in playing around with any computer settings (like the router and modem settings). I shall try my best to follow explanations step by step!

Thanks in advance if you can help out! I've been struggling to figure this out for awhile and just want to fix this problem once and for all ! =)

Every poster is fixated on 1 item, 1 PC blah-blah.

So every troubleshooter wants to know, can u WIFI access from any other device? because WIFI is SHARED. Hope this makes sense to u.

Is your WIFI router getting enough ventilation? no blocked vents? As is being accessed, its LED indicator blinks to signal activity, so what do you see? you are there, we are not, so be the eyes.

Aug 7, 2019
Every poster is fixated on 1 item, 1 PC blah-blah.

So every troubleshooter wants to know, can u WIFI access from any other device? because WIFI is SHARED. Hope this makes sense to u.

Is your WIFI router getting enough ventilation? no blocked vents? As is being accessed, its LED indicator blinks to signal activity, so what do you see? you are there, we are not, so be the eyes.

Thanks for replying!

Yes, I can access Wifi access from other devices.

Regarding your other question: Do you mean if the router is physically squished in a corner or something? If so, router is getting enough ventilation and there's no blocked vents. LED indicator lights are all on. There's 5 lights in total -the power, receive, send, online light are all a solid green colour. Lastly, the reactivity light is on and continuously flickers, even when my internet is disconnected.

OK, able access from other devices tells you the router did not froze up, is still doing its job. WIFI router treat all devices the same, what's so special about this PC?

Next thing every troubleshooter wants you to do, get a printout of IPCONFIG when things work and when things doesn't work. Open a command prompt, type IPCONFIG /ALL >OUT.TXT, then copy&paste in your reply.

IPCONFIG contains addresses information, Who am I, How do I get to the Internet, what are the many IP addresses I need to talk to anybody.

Did you configured this WIFI router? Are you using static IP addresses, which you SHOULD have excluded from your DHCP lease range?