Question Internet disconnects randomly when more devices are connected to the router?

Shauna333

Honorable
Mar 1, 2016
Hi. I'm having trouble gaming (mostly playing LoL) because my internet is disconnecting frequently. I just had a 20 minute game where my internet went out about 5 times. It'll last about 5-10 seconds, but that's enough to be a nuisance in a game like LoL.

Anyway, I feel like it has to do with more devices being connected to my router. I had no problems with my internet router previously— I've been using it for years, but yesterday I turned on my router's wifi and allowed my family's devices to be connected to it. (We had a seperate router as the family router, but now my router is being used as the family router.) So anyhow, how do I remedy this? Does it have to do with too much bandwidth being used so the router is resetting itself? I really don't know...

I just want to be able to play LoL without disconnecting. My computer and my brother's is connected through ethernet. I tried turning off the wifi on my router prior to playing a game thinking that it would fix it, but it was still happening. Should I unplug and re-plug the router before I play? I haven't tried doing that yet. Anything that will help, pls. lol.

Shauna333

Honorable
Mar 1, 2016
First--set your network back to how it was when this wasn't a problem. If that solves it then your changes were the cause.

If this doesn't solve it, then run packetlosstest.com and post the results.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Yes, changing my network back to how it was would likely solve the problem. Which would be—having it hardwired to my computer and my brother's computer only, and with the wifi settings off. However, because our 2nd router is no longer being used as the family router for the wifi, my router has to be used as the family router. So I can't change it as we have our phones and chromecast and laptops connected to my router for wifi now. I mean, surely other people have one router in their home used for all their devices without problems, right? So I think I should be able to manage but I don't know why it's having such a hard time with many devices connected.

I ran the packet loss test and it came up with 0% packet loss.

Do you know if using up too much bandwidth will cause the internet to disconnect randomly? That's my suspicions but I don't know.

Run speedtests at fast.com and dslreports.com/speedtest and post the results.

My suspicion is that your router's wifi gets overloaded so it's actually overloading the router, but the only way to confirm that is to get that second router to be the access point again. It also can be the amount of bandwidth available, hence the above tests. Post the results.

TRENDING THREADS