Internet disconnects when certain PC is on

Sep 14, 2019
I have been experiencing this problem recently and have been unable to figure out a solution.

When I turn on my desktop computer, my internet loses its dsl connection. This remains true until my computer has been shut off. No other device including my computer can connect to the internet while my PC is on. It still broadcasts the network ID, but it has no connectivity. This problem occurs even if the computer is not connected to the router at all, wirelessly or with a Ethernet cable. I haven't had any problem with this until just a few days ago.

I have tried restarting the router, factory resetting the router, moving the router to a different location, moving my computer to a different location, and booting my computer into safe mode. None of these have worked. Any solution would be very much appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690k
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8 GB
SSD/HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390
PSU: EVGA 750 W

Router/modem: Netgear

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019
The problem has been fixed. In case anyone experiences this in the future, some wires were loose in the box connecting our phone lines to the house. Tightening them up seemed to fix the problem.