[SOLVED] Internet down for days at a time, short windows od reconnection

TwentyGaugeHigh

Reputable
Jul 18, 2016
Thursday, Sept. 5th, my house lost wifi entirely and the following Friday morning ethernet followed. Tuesday, Sept. 10th, ethernet returned only until Wednesday afternoon, just to give a bit of a timeline of what's been going on. Wifi is still disconnected and is unusable, and will seemingly remain so for another 2-3 days until a tech can get out here and troubleshoot. My first inclination is that a wire or utility pole or something has been damaged by the ongoing construction on my street for the past month, but I'm not confident in that since ethernet has come back briefly and stably, and the construction is mostly replacing sidewalk blocks and repaving; significant digging was present, but that ended about 3 weeks ago.

Is there any other possible reason that the internet would go down like this? Windows troubleshooter returns a "no valid ip config" error, which I've tried to rectify to no avail and resetting the router is not a solution either. At this point, I'm asking out of curiosity because I would like to at least know what's going on and maybe have some tools or info on how to prevent, or fix, this in the future should it ever happen again.

Solution
Ok, which modem do you have?
Does it connect to another router or wifi-router? if so which one?
Basically, if the WAN light is the wrong color or flashing when it's usually solid then it's an ISP issue.
Sometimes, with outages like that, you may have to RESET everything, there maybe a box you forgot to reset, and sometimes, you may even have to reset things in a certain order. For example, when outage occur at my place, the modem takes a long time to reboot, while my firewall behind it just takes a minute, so the FW comes up first but the modem is not yet ready, the FW suppose to be smart enough to wait for the modem to come up and connect but alas no, it gives up and it just sits there, so when my modem finally comes up, the FW is still in a failed state, and doesn't do anything until I manually reset it again.

<Redacted by Moderator>

TwentyGaugeHigh

Reputable
Jul 18, 2016
Did you call your ISP?
If not, why not?
Called earlier in the week, ISP tech will be here Friday evening. It's the earliest they can get someone out apparently.

Which ISP and which connection type?
Hard to troubleshoot anything when all you have to go on is a symptom.
Spectrum, both ethernet and wifi. I've been trying to research why this is happening so I can at least troubleshoot myself, but, again, I'm not even entirely sure this is an issue I can fix.

Sometimes, with outages like that, you may have to RESET everything, there maybe a box you forgot to reset, and sometimes, you may even have to reset things in a certain order. For example, when outage occur at my place, the modem takes a long time to reboot, while my firewall behind it just takes a minute, so the FW comes up first but the modem is not yet ready, the FW suppose to be smart enough to wait for the modem to come up and connect but alas no, it gives up and it just sits there, so when my modem finally comes up, the FW is still in a failed state, and doesn't do anything until I manually reset it again.

<Redacted by Moderator>
I've reset just about everything I can think of, but I haven't tried any specific order. Although, I'm not confident that this is a reboot solution.

TRENDING THREADS