Internet Dropouts on Hardwired Connection But Still Have Wifi

LanceCassidy859

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
I've been having issues with my internet connection for a few weeks now. I have one computer hardwired to the router/modem and a WiFi connection for everything else. I'm experiencing persistent dropouts in my wired connection but no issues whatsoever with WiFi when this happens.

- I've had my ISP out and replaced EVERYTHING (connectors, splitters, lines) leading from the pole to the modem
- All of the lights and my modem function properly during these dropouts.
- Not sure if it's relevant but I have used the command prompt to ping 4.2.2.2 and 8.8.8.8 during the dropouts (avg 30ms) with 0% packet loss.
- It takes anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes for the computer to regain a connection.
- There can be anywhere from a few minutes up to a few hours between these dropouts

I was wondering what could be causing a wired connection to drop but leave the WiFi online. Should I look into replacing my router or ethernet cables or is there some other problem?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
If you can ping during the time with no loss then you likely do not have a actual network problem. Hard to say other software like browsers or games are affected by many things. I would first hard code the DNS in your pc network settings to use 8.8.8.8 especially since this responds to ping when you are having issues.

After that I would be suspect of the nework drivers on your pc. See if there are newer ones. If you have a killer chipset download the driver that has all the killer features removed. If you have one of the intel so called gamers first you need to disable that software. Unlike killer intel does not integrate this garbage into their drivers.
If you can ping during the time with no loss then you likely do not have a actual network problem. Hard to say other software like browsers or games are affected by many things. I would first hard code the DNS in your pc network settings to use 8.8.8.8 especially since this responds to ping when you are having issues.

After that I would be suspect of the nework drivers on your pc. See if there are newer ones. If you have a killer chipset download the driver that has all the killer features removed. If you have one of the intel so called gamers first you need to disable that software. Unlike killer intel does not integrate this garbage into their drivers.

Solution

LanceCassidy859

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
Thanks! Turns out it was a driver issues after all. While they were all up-to-date, after uninstalling/reinstalling all network drivers and rolling back my OS to the previous version of Windows 10...No more issues!

Thanks again!