Question Internet dropping every 1-5 minutes for the last month ?

D

Deleted member 2341762

Please help. I can’t deal with this anymore. One month with Xfinity constantly dropping. I’ve restarted the router countless times, even got a new one. We live in an apartment building so that might be an effect? But we’ve lived here for years and it’s been fine up until the last month or so. I don’t know what to do anymore it’s every device goes down at the same time so it’s not a device issue.

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
It’s should not be Comcast/xfinity. And since a router/modem combo. Your best bet is to set up a access point router. The 2nd router would only need power, and it will get the internet from the modem/router, and it will create a access point with the name you give it or the default name and any device that connects to the new SSID “new router/network name” will be getting internet from it then the new router, and the new router will get internet from the main modem/router “wirelessly”. A 2.4 ghz signal and depend on the range the antenna type is vital. The FCC made sure civilians didn’t easily buy devices that could broadcast super long ranges for a reason. 802.11 wireless N and G are still excellent. 5 ghz is a problem that people just don’t understand

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
..............it’s every device goes down at the same time.................

Does that include wired devices as well? If it does then get in touch with your Internet provider as suggested because it's not a wireless problem nor is it likely to be the router because you've already changed it.

Your Internet provider can check their logs to see if you've been disconnected from their service and hopefully fix it for you if that proves to be the case. Your router logs will also show any disconnections although it can be a tad tricky to make sense of those logs.

PS: Check the AC socket too that the router's plugged into in case it's intermittently faulty.

D

Deleted member 2341762

Does that include wired devices as well? If it does then get in touch with your Internet provider as suggested because it's not a wireless problem nor is it likely to be the router because you've already changed it.

Your Internet provider can check their logs to see if you've been disconnected from their service and hopefully fix it for you if that proves to be the case. Your router logs will also show any disconnections although it can be a tad tricky to make sense of those logs.

PS: Check the AC socket too that the router's plugged into in case it's intermittently faulty.

Yeah, that includes devices connected via ethernet aswell. The weird thing is that when the devices go down, the light on the router stays white which signifies that it's "working" The cable is tight although in my router's logs
FW.IPv6 INPUT drop , 15407 Attempts, 2021/5/31 14:14:48Firewall Blocked
FW.IPv6 FORWARD drop , 226 Attempts, 2021/5/31 13:58:01Firewall Blocked
FW.WANATTACK DROP , 165 Attempts, 2021/5/31 09:58:01Firewall Blocked
I don't know if this could be why but it seems odd. I also searched these identical errors and found some reddit posts talking about internet dropping with no solution.

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
Moblitz, thanks for those log entries. Those show intrusion attempts that happen to everyone but the number of intrusions is alarming but do you know if that's for one second, one week, or the number since the router was last restarted? If they're occurring in rapid succession then it could destabilise your router and cause it to lose Internet connectivity.

Google tells me that other Xfinity users have been complaining of exactly the same issue as yours. You may want to post on the Xfinity forums although I haven't seen a solution that's been confirmed to work.

Google also tells me that most Xfinity home users have a dynamic public IP address so if you can get a different public IP then that may fix your problem. Apparently, ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew in a Command Prompt window should renew your public IP address, but if it doesn't, then turning the modem/router off for an hour or so should work.

Is there some screen that show error counts. Many modems/routers have a screen that show the number of correctable and uncorrectable errors on each of the channels your modem is using on the cable. You will always see some but uncorrectable errors means the data is lost so if these number are increasing over a short period of time it is a problem. Your ISP can also see these numbers. There also should be screens that show you the signal levels. You can look up what is consider acceptable. The tables are kinda big since they vary just a little bit based on the type of docsis so I will not try to duplicate them here. The ISP can also see these levels but it depends if they are in the mood to help you or to just close their call as quickly as possible.