Question Internet dropping only on my PC when streaming

Apr 29, 2019
I've been lately trying to get back into streaming recently as I've acquired a bit more free time and trying to put the effort somewhere with it. Lately whenever I go to try and stream I'll successfully be fine for anywhere from 30-90 minutes but then my internet connection will completely drop. But this is where it gets interesting, the only device that loses connectivity is my PC, no phones no consoles, etc. will lose any internet connection or usage even. The only thing that fixes the connection is just plain restarting my computer. I run my connection to my desktop through an ethernet cable that has no issues. The internet itself doesn't seem to be dropping, just my connection to it and i have no idea why. Any and all help is appreciated!

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
routers usually priorotize wireless over wired so if you connect your pc with wire and use other wireless devices like an iphone then that's what you get . try fiddling with your routers configuration .

I've been lately trying to get back into streaming recently as I've acquired a bit more free time and trying to put the effort somewhere with it. Lately whenever I go to try and stream I'll successfully be fine for anywhere from 30-90 minutes but then my internet connection will completely drop. But this is where it gets interesting, the only device that loses connectivity is my PC, no phones no consoles, etc. will lose any internet connection or usage even. The only thing that fixes the connection is just plain restarting my computer. I run my connection to my desktop through an ethernet cable that has no issues. The internet itself doesn't seem to be dropping, just my connection to it and i have no idea why. Any and all help is appreciated!

This is likely a buffer bloat issue.

When streaming you are likely using UDP packets. Some routers have problems with
managing memory on UDP packets and they hang arround too long leading to bloat.

Memory buffering algorithms on routers are tweeked versions of publically available ones where its tuned to the hardware or design spec. Sometimes they allocate memory on a per ip client basis. This way if one machine is behaving badly they dont all go down.

When you reboot your pc the router sees a reboot and barfs the data clearing the buffer.

It is possible it is your pc program too. Try logging out then back in. Logging out kills most programs memory provided they are not system services or global tokens/atoms.

For further advice go to the router mfg support forum and ask if there is a onown udp buffer bloat issue with your model router describe to them the symptoms.

TRENDING THREADS