Question Internet dropping out but network is good ?

Feb 1, 2023
Network:
I had a network based on a Lincsys MR8300 v1.1 [kept updated] which had internet [provided by a Comcast modem. This was part of a large Comcast package that I decided to sever.
I signed up for a T-Mobile 5G internet/router plan [Device is Sagemcom Fast 5688W] which has performed quite well for my network/internet. I am very disappointed with the user interface - a highly deficient phone app. Moving on...

On this network I have a HP Envy 17T 100g, a Dell Inspiron 7591 2-in-1, a Lenovo Thinkbook 13X G2, two Samsung Galaxy phones, a Galaxy Tab 2, a Galaxy Tab 4, a Samsung laser printer, a Brother scanner all using Wi-Fi. There is also a Lenovo Thinkcentre desktop on cable. All computers are running Windows 11, not yet 22H2 and Norton 360. There are no problems with any of the connected devices except:

Subject:
The Thinkbook is new and having a problem. I do not have the maker of the motherboard; if important, this can probably be found. The networking device is an intel wi-fi 6e ax211 gig. There are no error messages.

The new Thinkbook 13X G2 has an inability to establish a continual connection with the internet. It is working fine on our LAN. The computer worked fine for about three – four weeks, and then started to drop the internet. During this period I made normal user customizations and uninstalled “junk” that came with the computer. The only thing I can remotely think is related to the issue is that I uninstalled Onedrive after a MS Office 2016 install, which I have also done on the Inspiron with no problems.

When turning on the computer, or switching the LAN connection off and then back on, the internet connection will briefly show, and then after a varying but short period of time, it will disconnect and refuse attempts to reconnect. It looks as if there is some sort of automatic setting change. It is not an illusion. One time I turned networking off then on and openned a page on Firefox which it managed to do before the internet dropped out. Resetting the network router/internet device does not change the behavior. I cannot find anything on the internet that is remotely similar to this problem - all the solutions I find center on LAN-wide problems.

So I went about trying to work on this, focused on the Intel Wi-Fi device in the Windows Device Manager. I have turned off power saving settings. At one point, I set the device to preferred band = 5G, and the system worked for a couple of days, but then returned to the described behavior, and I went back to the defaults.

Under Network Devices in the Device Manager, there is the Intel device, followed by a list of WAN devices which I think are Microsoft add-ons supporting VPN and other systems. I disabled the "WAN network monitor" and I again had a stable connection to the internet. Then after two days, the behavior returned, so I re-enabled the WAN network monitor, and as I write this, there is again a stable connection.

So... based on these observations, I believe there is definitely a problem with this computer maintaining a connection to my home network's internet which is not evident in my four other computers as well as tablets and phones. Changing settings on the Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX211 160MHz seems to have at least temporary ability to re-establish connection. The WAN devices are basically software and it appears they are not needed for my situation on a home network. I do not need VPN, as I do not travel in that territory.

Does anybody have suggestions on where to proceed with this problem?

1. Corrupted driver?
  2. Are the WAN devices part of the Windows installation or are they built into the Intel driver?
  3. Is there a diagnostic test for this device beyond the simplistic testing offered by Windows?
  4. Defective Intel Wi-Fi device?

If a fresh driver installation does not solve the problem, what options are available to replace the device?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to see if the culprit Lenovo laptop is pending any BIOS updates. I'd also try and see if reinstalling the wireless networking adapter's drivers changes anything on your end, after installing it in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Likewise, perhaps see if the wireless router you're working with is pending any firmware updates. I've come across some wireless routers that didn't like one or two particular devices, in spite of it pairing to multiple other devices in the household.

Feb 1, 2023
Well, I wasted another day on this. I downloaded the latest Intel driver - intel-wi-fi-6e-ax211-gig, and the internet came on and stayed on. With that I used the Lenovo Vantage app to update the Bios, which was called for. It worked fine for a while, so I went to update it, and the internet was lost again. I'm going inside to see if any loose connections
dc

Feb 1, 2023
Well, I wasted another day on this. I downloaded the latest Intel driver - intel-wi-fi-6e-ax211-gig, and the internet came on and stayed on. With that I used the Lenovo Vantage app to update the Bios, which was called for. It worked fine for a while, so I went to update it, and the internet was lost again. I'm going inside to see if any loose connections
dc
no loose connections

Feb 1, 2023
The only thing left seemed to be software, since the device did very well handling the LAN. New driver, everything up to date...

I haven't done this stuff in years, so I searched the web, and on a site called Windows Club I found the references I remember using a long time ago. Flush the network stack, reset winsock, TCP, hosts and I now have a stable internet for a couple of days.
Thank you for the attention you have given this. Since, in my mind, the fix matched the behavior, we probably can move on and close this issue.
Dave