Question WiFi connection dropping out for short periods ?

Nov 28, 2021
Hello,
I'm at my wits end with an issue I've been having for a few months now. Basically my wifi will drop out for a few seconds at a time and this has become a huge issue when trying to game with friends. I don't think this is something that other devices are experiencing, mainly just on my desktop. I have a laptop, a smart telly, a games console and a smartphone that all connect to wifi and none of these have the same issue.

I am unfortunately on wifi due to the location of my pc in the house. My dad is very good with networking as his career is related to this, and he has setup a specific access point closer to my pc in order to try to get better connection here, which for a long time worked well. However in recent months I have been experiencing this described issue. My wifi will be fine, until it's not. It'll seem to strain for a few minutes, the discord call I'm on will begin to deteriorate significantly, or the game I am in will grind to a halt and I will inevitably be kicked. Then the issue will go away.

I am not someone with a tremendous amount of pc or networking expertise, as far as I am aware though this is device specific. Any insight would be very much appreciated. The only lead I have at the moment is my dad mentioned he was having similar issues and discovered it was due to some GoPro software he installed which was interfering with the network somehow, however I don't remember installing anything new on my PC between this not happening, and beginning. I also don't even know how I'd begin to investigate such an issue to rectify it.
Any help would be really appreciated. Please feel free to ask me for more information if necessary and I will do my best to answer.
Cheers.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"My dad is very good with networking as his career is related to this, and he has setup a specific access point closer to my pc in order to try to get better connection here, "

One question:

Why are you asking here, in Tom's, instead of asking your Dad?

Especially if, as it appears, he is already aware of some issue.