Internet drops at random intervals, but only while houseowners are home. Possibly electrical issue rather than networking?

Feb 5, 2019
This problem has been a huge unsolvable mystery for me for a long time now so this is going to be a rather lengthy post. The problem began for me around the start of summer last year, and it came out of nowhere as I had already been living here for a year before that with perfectly stable internet. I have tried many times to figure out just what the problem is but I've always given up after getting nowhere or hitting dead ends. I've been in countless talks with both the ISP and the houseowners about it but never gotten anywhere. I'm trying once more now by coming to this place for help.

I live in a household with 3 homes in it. Me, a neighbor next to me and the houseowners themselves on the upper floor. It's the houseowners internet that I use. I am connected to it by a router of my own which is plugged into the wall with a "cat.5e" cable which connects to a similar cable in a room on the upper floor that goes into the houseowner's router.

To explain the problem a bit better, my connection will instantaneously drop out at seemingly random intervals. My connection speed doesn't slow down or anything beforehand, it's just instantly cut off. It will then take usually 2-3 minutes to reconnect to the internet, although some times it can take more like 5-10 minutes. This cutoff can happen every 10 minutes, every 20 minutes, some times every 60 minutes, or anything in between, or it'll mix it up a bit with taking 10 minutes one time, then 15, then 30, then maybe 10 again. Basically, it's unpredictable, and very frustrating. What I eventually came to notice was that within minutes of the houseowners arriving home from work or vacation or whatever (I can hear them driving up the driveway and slamming the outer door when they arrive), my connection would stop being stable. Whenever they're not here though, everything is perfectly fine. The nights are a bit weird. Some times my connection is stable during them, some times not. I don't think the houseowners are the kind to ever stay up past midnight, or maybe up to 1 am on weekends, so I assume the nights that it is stable they have turned everything off, and when it isn't, something is on and interfering with the connection. Also, they've said they haven't noticed the connection cutting off for them, but they barely use the internet themselves so I figure that they just aren't using it enough to notice. For someone like me however who plays online games and streams movies and such, it is very noticeable. As for the neighbor, I don't believe they have any effect on this at all. They've said they haven't noticed any issues, but it's hard to know if they just aren't noticing them, or if the issues really don't appear on their end at all.

I have tried to just get my own internet instead, but this ended up not being possible because of the unfavorable terrain to draw the necessary wires through. They'd need permission to dig through the neighbors lawns and it would be extremely costly, so it was out of the question.

Through our countless talks with the ISP we have tried many things. I tried connecting an ethernet cable directly from the wall into my computer, which gave me a connection, but it would still randomly drop out. This ruled out the possibility of my own router being at fault. We then moved on to the houseowner's router. Here they tried things like changing the IP addresses of various devices connected to it, going through the devices connected to it one by one to see if any of them were causing problems, and just turning all WiFi devices off and it still did not stop the random drops. Eventually the houseowners were sent a brand new router in case their current one was somehow defunct in an undetectable way, but the problems remained the same. The ISP wasn't of much help beyond this, they are clueless as to what the problem might be. It didn't help that we got a new person on the line every time we called them and couldn't get back to the previous person we talked to. This is as far as I've gotten in solving the puzzle from a networking perspective.

What I've also considered is that it might be an electrical issue, but I'm even more clueless in this field than I am in networking. I have noticed some oddities like when I turn off the fluorescent bathroom lamp (my computer is pretty close to the bathroom) my computer monitors will some times (not always) black out for a few seconds, and the speakers will disconnect for about 1 second. If I'm using headphones they will some times get disconnected and I have to replug them. I also have these wireless bluetooth earphones that will have a quick sound distortion when I turn that lamp off. This has never affected my internet connection however, it's just an observation I've made of some kind of weird electrical interference happening here, which has given me the idea that maybe there's a similar electrical interference with the houseowner's router that cuts off its connection, or makes it reboot itself or something like that...?

I really don't know. I'm just hoping someone here may have heard of something familiar and can give me something to go on. If I can't figure this out I'll just have to find some other place to move to but I really hope it doesn't have to come to that since this place is great for me in every way except for this obnoxious internet problem. If you need more or details or anything then ask away.

Ralston18

Titan
Having two routers can create all sorts of problems if not correctly configured.

What happens if you connect your computer directly to the cable coming from houseowner's router?

Meaning that you bypass your own router.

Also do you have any other networked devices? Expect so or you probably would not have your own router.

So the next step (after trying a direct connection sans your router) would be to turn of DHCP on your router. Basically turning it into a switch.

Try both and post the results. Give both both multiple tries at different times and leave set up. Sometimes networks take awhile to handshake and work out the protocols.

Feb 5, 2019

Connecting to my computer directly is just the same. I get a connection but it will still drop out at random while the houseowners are home.

Turning off DHCP was something we tried while we were in talks with the ISP, that didn't change anything either.

As for networked devices... My own things would be my desktop computer, a laptop, my phone, my ps4 and this TV decoder thing. I usually only have 2-3 of those on at a time, and I will experience the internet disconnecting regardless of which one I'm using. I believe the only networked devices from the houseowners is their own TV decoder, and a tablet and a smartphone which they don't use for much besides occasionally checking facebook and news. I think the only use of the WiFi connection on the decoders is in case they get a firmware update.

As mentioned above I have tried wired which didn't help. Dunno about congestion, we don't really have that many devices connected and I think the ISP would know if this is what was causing the issue.

Feb 5, 2019

Sorry for the late reply, been a bit busy the last few days. Here is everything from running ipconfig /all:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-0JHB53U
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : jensen.com

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : jensen.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 60-45-CB-9D-9A-86
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1E-87-2C-B7-9A-7D

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 1:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1E-87-2C-B7-92-7D

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : jensen.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ASUS PCE-AC68 802.11ac Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1C-87-2C-B7-9A-7D
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d1c0:60f9:2f95:1ef%19(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.38.102(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 08 February 2019 14:45:19
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 10 February 2019 14:45:19
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.38.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.38.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 370968364
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-21-4B-77-B6-60-45-CB-9D-9A-86
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.38.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 5C-F3-70-8A-FA-5B
I had to do a factory reset since I wasn't able to access the admin page for my router, I think because it had been set up to work as an access point back when I was consulting the ISP for help, which didn't help the problem anyway. Now it's basically at the same settings as when I started getting the problem in the first place. If it's of any help the router I'm using is an "Air:Link 5000AC".

I couldn't find anything to show the connected devices.

Ralston18

Titan
Does the following link present the User Manual for your router?

http://www.jensenofscandinavia.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Jensen-router-Basic-setup-ENG-July-2015.pdf

I also found the following (non-English) link:

http://www.jensenofscandinavia.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Jensen-router-First-GUI-version-Avansert-manual-Norsk.pdf

Default IP is 192.168.38.1, Default admin login name is "admin" and the password is "1234". (Shown on multiple pages.)

Because you did a factory reset the router should have reverted back to those configuration settings.

It may also have reverted back to DHCP enabled as well.

And your computer is currently connecting wirelessly and being given the IP address 192.168.38.102

Connectivity (as I understand the current connections):

ISP ---> Homeowner's router[LAN port] -----Ethernet cable ---->[LAN Port] Airlink 5000AC [LAN] ---Ethernet cable ----> your wired devices and ~~~~wireless ~~~~> Your computer "Desktop" and other wireless devices.

Two suggestions:

1) Ensure that DHCP is disabled on your router. Your devices should receive IP address assignments via the homeowner's router.

2) If the ISP (Jensen?) does not provide IPv6, then turn that off.

Also: does the other neighbor have their own router as well? Can you find out how they are physically connected (i.e., a line /connectivity diagram similar to the diagram I put together for your connectivity. (And do feel free to correct as necessary in case I have misunderstood the connections.)

Feb 5, 2019
The first link seems to be for a similar but different model. The second looks to be the one for my router.

Looked at the admin page and the only place where I could enable/disable DHCP was in the LAN settings, I have disabled it there, will it also be disabled for WiFi in that case? If I run ipconfig /all again it still says DHCP is enabled under WiFi adapter.
5d87a6e55f.jpg

42882c2d3e.jpg

The ISP is Telenor, Jensen is just the router manufacturer. I didn't see anything about IPv6 in the admin page so I disabled it under Properties for my WiFi adapter.

The connectivity diagram you showed is almost correct, but rather than one Ethernet cable going through the walls, it's an ethernet port in the wall in both their room and mine. I don't have any wired devices connected either so I've omitted that part.

ISP ---> Homeowner's router[LAN port] -----Ethernet cable ----> [LAN Port (houseowner's room)] --- [LAN Port (my room)] ---Ethernet Cable ---> Airlink 5000AC [LAN] ~~~~wireless ~~~~> Your computer "Desktop" and other wireless devices.

It's set up in the same way for my neighbor.

Also, my phone is now no longer able to connect to my internet. Is that because I disabled DHCP?

Feb 5, 2019
Correct. I believe this is what the ISP helped me to do when I called them, but it didn't solve the problem back then. Since I've basically done it over again on my own now though I can try leaving it like this for a couple of days to see if it's been fixed. I'll just drop the current ipconfig /all log and a couple of pics while I'm at it in case you see anything that looks wrong.

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ASUS PCE-AC68 802.11ac Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1C-87-2C-B7-9A-7D
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.90(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 13 February 2019 23:26:53
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 14 February 2019 23:35:30
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

207f8e8c37.jpg

7b899fc6ef.jpg

TRENDING THREADS