Internet drops every 10 minutes (after each reset...)

Aug 14, 2018
Hello everyone,

Here is the problem: Internet slows down after a period and so slow that one thinks that it does not work at all. Generally it is good for 10 minutes, but three days ago it survived a whopping 12 hours. I reset and it becomes good for a while, HD quality or 12 Mbps. Then it does not drop completely but I cannot open videos even in 144p..

*I connect through Wi-fi, i have macbook, iphone and ipad.

*I tried different routers, one actually is an official router provided by the internet provider. Connecting through LAN cable did not help either.

*The service provider changed cables outside of the home and says I have the optimal signal for internet. They say they have nothing to help.

* My modem & router (one piece device) is directly connected to the phone jack coming to the home. No other cable is attached to the phone jack (internet).

*I tried to change channels (which is by default in auto mode), it did not help. Actually, it helps for 10 minutes, at max.

So what could be a good solution? A self healing router or a router with congestion sensing antennas?

Best...

Solution
Forget wireless.... test with a wired connection and see if the same issue occurs. Wireless has the most problems that can make troubleshooting difficult in cases such as this. Wired will eliminate a myraid of issues. So if you the problem doesn't occur while wired, you are 1/2 way home.

LaborinjoRt

Honorable
Dec 21, 2015
I had a few different situations, all with my friends connections. The first one was due to one of my friend's computers being a Zombie.

A Zombie computer is a computer that has an external (unwanted) connection, from which someone can control your computer and forward some nasty stuff to other people. They are often used in DDoS attacks, and it can slow your connection down to a crawl. Try disconnecting your PC from the internet and check the speed

Another case was when my brother's phone for some weird reason ate up all the bandwith on our 30/10 connection. Try disconnecting the other devices one by one and restarting your router every time you disconnect a device, then check after 10 minutes if your internet did slow down.

The other case is your ISP is talking absolute trash and they know about the issue but can't be bothered to tell you about it and listen to you complain about them being incompotent.

Aug 14, 2018
Oh God, zombie computer sounds horrible. I will try connecting with only one device. Thanks a lot!
I removed the upper part of my router, tomorrow i will buy some fan or heat dissipator. It may be a heating issue. Both modems are entry level.

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Forget wireless.... test with a wired connection and see if the same issue occurs. Wireless has the most problems that can make troubleshooting difficult in cases such as this. Wired will eliminate a myraid of issues. So if you the problem doesn't occur while wired, you are 1/2 way home.

Solution