Internet drops intermittently when downloading large files..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsrichh

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
This happens when downloading torrents (healthy ones) as well as downloading games legitimately bought on steam from the steam store. The connection starts, I leave my PC for about a minute and the speed slowly climbs from about 1 - 2.5mbps downloading and then rapidly descends all the way to 0. I have a 100megabit download and 50megabit upload connection when tested using speedtest.net, also tested using ctrl+g connection tester on uTorrent and got same results. I am using a 300Mbps High Gain Wireless USB adapter for my wireless connection. Using USB because I do not have an PCI slot available for one to go inside the PC. All drivers on the PC are 100% up to date, all windows updates are installed.

I have disabled and even tried uninstalling my AVG anti virus to no avail.
I have disabled my firewall but that doesn't help.
I have tried using a different torrent program such as BitTorrent but that doesn't do anything.
I have tried turning off my computer + router for at least 2 min before restarting.
I have tried re-installing the driver and software for my wireless USB adapter.

When the connection drops to 0, after about 30 seconds I get the little indicator down the bottom right hand side of the screen come up with the warning triangle. When running the troubleshooter it comes up with the solution of resetting the network adapter which works but I don't want to have to reset that every 2 mins with a connection that keeps going up and down like it is...

This only happens when downloading files from Steam and anything from uTorrent. When left for a while like 2 hours the internet does not reconnect and I must unplug my USB adapter and plug it back in.

PC SPECS:

AMD FX-9590 Eight Core - Aftermarket CPU cooler
8GB RAM
GTX 760 All drivers installed
Win 7 64bit Home Premium all updates installed.
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 ALL drivers installed and up to date. :)

Sorry for the wall of text, this is driving me nuts how I cant download much of anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys. :)

jsrichh

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013

I have bought a brand spanking new hard drive and stuck windows 7 64 bit on it, its what I am currently using, still the issue persists. Thats without downloading any torrents on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.