Question Internet drops out for a few seconds every hour or so (hardwired)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Modem is one furnished by charter
Router is netgear nighthawk ac1900
Connected devices are 7
Hello again, I have had an issue with my internet dropping out since I upgraded my package for faster speeds, went from 70 mbps to 500, I got a new modem from charter and I bought a netgear nighthawk ac1900 smart router, as well as all new ethernet cables to cat6, I thought it was just warzone as I saw alot of people complaining about getting disconnected but tonight I was playing elden ring and decided to stream it for my nephew, I had 3 disconnects in 1.5 hours, just long enough to end the stream for a min, I Googled issues with the internet disconnecting and saw alot of stuff to troubleshoot so I did the following.

Updated drivers for adapter (didn't need updated?)
Checked for firmware update for modem and router, they're both up to date.
Checked cables they're all new but I switched them out with other new ones (I bought 6)
Checked router logs
Reset modem and router.
Changed up address.
Made sure nothing was overheating.
Flushed DNS
reset network through windows.

I saw another thing about disabling green ethernet, wake up magic packet and energy efficient ethernet setting. ( could those 3 things cause these internet issues?)

I haven't tested the connection to see if it cuts out again as it's late but from the things I listed that I have done is There something you all could point out or try that I'm missing if the things I tried do not work?

Last edited:
If you buy one with a modem in it it is going to be much more expensive and you will have limited choice. Pretty much any router will hook to a modem even extremely cheap routers can run gigabit on ethernet wan/lan.

You need nothing real special. Something like a asus rt-68u is the equivalent to your current netgear. This already support wifi options must end device do not. Unless you have end devices that can do more or maybe support wifi6 you could consider other but in general most end devices are using radios that would be called 1200 if it was a router.

You want to keep your PC hooked up via ethernet and you will have no issues with performance. Wifi is completely unpredictable because your environment more than the particular router makes far more differnce.

The only time you are really concerned about the performance if the router is if you are running something like VPN. You also can't actually use most the fancy features on most routers already because you have such a fast internet connection. Many feature like say parental controls or packet filtering require all the traffic flow throught he cpu chip. Using these options turns off the option that lets the router do NAT in hardware bypassing the cpu. You will drop your speed to less than 300mbps even on the fastest consumer routers.

So as long as you just use basic stuff and do not have high end wifi devices you need nothing all the special.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Not a huge concern just don't want to spend $200 on a router, which Asus is good? They have so many models, I have 500 mbps down 25 mbps up, I play Games and occasionally stream, I read somewhere to make sure it's docsis 3.0 /3.1 I don't know ever that means but I'm sure you do,, could you give me a model router that's compatible with my modem which is docsis 3.1 2.5g but don't know the brand, I took a picture but I can't upload it says admin approval , I don't want another netgear I've had nothing but issues and there support is terrible.

Been wired to the modem since 5 am not one drop but netgear genie did something where I couldn't view websites which was fixed when I Uninstalled it.
I already have a modem that is do sis 3.1 and 2.
If you buy one with a modem in it it is going to be much more expensive and you will have limited choice. Pretty much any router will hook to a modem even extremely cheap routers can run gigabit on ethernet wan/lan.

You need nothing real special. Something like a asus rt-68u is the equivalent to your current netgear. This already support wifi options must end device do not. Unless you have end devices that can do more or maybe support wifi6 you could consider other but in general most end devices are using radios that would be called 1200 if it was a router.

You want to keep your PC hooked up via ethernet and you will have no issues with performance. Wifi is completely unpredictable because your environment more than the particular router makes far more differnce.

The only time you are really concerned about the performance if the router is if you are running something like VPN. You also can't actually use most the fancy features on most routers already because you have such a fast internet connection. Many feature like say parental controls or packet filtering require all the traffic flow throught he cpu chip. Using these options turns off the option that lets the router do NAT in hardware bypassing the cpu. You will drop your speed to less than 300mbps even on the fastest consumer routers.

So as long as you just use basic stuff and do not have high end wifi devices you need nothing all the special.
I already have a modem that is docsis 3.1 and 2.5 g I didn't know if that was nessessary to know, I do have another pc downstairs and after I get my new motherboard/cpu for my gaming pc I'm going to use this one just a 1660 super on wifi to capture and stream off of, I could run it wired if need be, I also have about 15 devices that hook to wifi so I think I need something a bit stout, the netgear was supposed to be a good router but I've had nothing but disconnects with it so I want something that didn't have firmware issues ans is stable

There is no magic here that will fix wifi issues. First you end devices are 1/2 the connection so it can be and most times is the the end device causing the issue especially when it is a phone or tablet type device. Next almost no router manufacture actually makes there own chips so routers with similar numbers have similar performance.

Just as a example this is a search for all the router that use the same wifi chip as your router. The link is long because I force it to only use that chip

https://deviwiki.com/wiki/Special:A...efault]=&p[class]=sortable+wikitable+smwtable

You can see many different brands and they do no all report the same issue. There are small difference in the router firmware but not in the wifi performance. The number of device a router supports is more related to the bandwidth usage. Far different for a bunch of users watching 4k netflix from a number of end device surfing the web.
You will not find significant difference between routers in how many devices they support.

Your problem seems it is not a wifi issue anyway.
You may just have a defective hardware which all manufactures have from time to time.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
There is no magic here that will fix wifi issues. First you end devices are 1/2 the connection so it can be and most times is the the end device causing the issue especially when it is a phone or tablet type device. Next almost no router manufacture actually makes there own chips so routers with similar numbers have similar performance.

Just as a example this is a search for all the router that use the same wifi chip as your router. The link is long because I force it to only use that chip

https://deviwiki.com/wiki/Special:Ask?title=Special:Ask&q=<q><q>[[WI1+chip1+model::BCM4365E]]+[[WI1+chip1+model::!~BCM4365EX*]]</q>+OR+<q>[[WI2+chip1+model::BCM4365E]]+[[WI2+chip1+model::!~BCM4365EX*]]</q></q>&po=?Embedded+system+type=Type ?FCC+ID ?Manuf ?Manuf+product+model=Manuf.+mdl ?CPU1+model=CPU1 ?CPU1+clock+speed ?FLA1+amount=FLA1 ?RAM1+amount=RAM1 ?WI1+chip1+model=WI1+chip1 ?WI1+chip2+model=WI1+chip2 ?WI1+MIMO+config=WI1+MIMO ?WI2+chip1+model=WI2+chip1 ?WI2+MIMO+config=WI2+MIMO ?Supported+802dot11+protocols=PHY+modes ?OUI ?OUI+(ethernet)=OUI+(Eth) ?Estimated+year+of+release=Est.+year&eq=yes&p[format]=broadtable&order[0]=ASC&sort_num=&order_num=ASC&p[limit]=500&p[offset]=&p[link]=all&p[sort]=&p[headers]=show&p[mainlabel]=&p[intro]=&p[outro]=&p[searchlabel]=…+further+results&p[default]=&p[class]=sortable+wikitable+smwtable

You can see many different brands and they do no all report the same issue. There are small difference in the router firmware but not in the wifi performance. The number of device a router supports is more related to the bandwidth usage. Far different for a bunch of users watching 4k netflix from a number of end device surfing the web.
You will not find significant difference between routers in how many devices they support.

Your problem seems it is not a wifi issue anyway.
You may just have a defective hardware which all manufactures have from time to time.
I was having wired disconnects due to the firmware as well as wifi etc etc, can this be simple and you recommend a good asus router that supports docsis 3.1 know you said rt-68u but there's 4 different ones