Question Internet (Ethernet) Lags for 1-3 seconds every night at EXACT same time

ballofire

Reputable
Apr 13, 2019
Every night the last week my internet lags for maybe 1-3 seconds. Not long, but long enough to notice. If I'm in a game my ping goes from 5ms to 9k then comes back down to 5ms. This happens EVERY NIGHT at the same time 22:44.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before? Been going on for about a week now and is driving me nuts.

Every night the last week my internet lags for maybe 1-3 seconds. Not long, but long enough to notice. If I'm in a game my ping goes from 5ms to 9k then comes back down to 5ms. This happens EVERY NIGHT at the same time 22:44.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before? Been going on for about a week now and is driving me nuts.
What other devices are connected on your network?

ballofire

Reputable
Apr 13, 2019
I just checked my ISP's site and saw this:

4 days ago
CityFibre will be carrying out work in York between 12th and 27th May 2022
Whilst they're working on this, customers connected in this area may experience a brief loss of service, for approximtely 1 minute.

I'm not in york though, but I think my router has gone down for an hour or two in the past when they were doing firmware updates or something a long time ago.

Could this be the culprit? I think it started happening around this time also. It doesn't go down for 1 minute though, only a few seconds and the router remains on and lights unchanged.

ballofire

Reputable
Apr 13, 2019
Depends on the modem. Mine you can log into by typing 192.168.100.1 in a browser. Yours may vary.

If you don't see anything, can you try using your laptop next time there's a 22:44?

I'm on my routers IP page if thats what you mean. That shows all of the info for the router and whats connected etc. Where can I check for any dropped connections?

I would leave constant ping command running in a background window and see if this too sees the problem. I would also leave a constant ping run on another device.

If both are affected then you start looking at the router or much more likely the ISP. If it is only the gaming pc you then you maybe the event log will show something that is starting at that time. Who know what crap microsoft is up to, no matter how hard I try to control when their idiot forced updates happen then always seem to be either using cpu for stuff or sending traffic to the network. It can be pretty much any software though.

ballofire

Reputable
Apr 13, 2019
I would leave constant ping command running in a background window and see if this too sees the problem. I would also leave a constant ping run on another device.

If both are affected then you start looking at the router or much more likely the ISP. If it is only the gaming pc you then you maybe the event log will show something that is starting at that time. Who know what crap microsoft is up to, no matter how hard I try to control when their idiot forced updates happen then always seem to be either using cpu for stuff or sending traffic to the network. It can be pretty much any software though.

cheers for the reply.

I contacted talktalk and they basically said they could find no "significant errors" with loss of service.. but then as I was doing the usual socket tests for them my net dropped out at 10:44 AM.

So not only is it happening at 10:44 PM its also happening 10:44 AM.. what the <Mod Edit>

Could it also be a scheduled job occurring at 10:44am and PM on some device upstream of me?

Last edited by a moderator: