Internet Explorer 9 Beta is Ready for Download

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm pretty sure if you are Ok with 'being in beta' you would be using a different browser already.

Uhh wtf. Why is the default zoom 105%?
Also, why must I reboot after installing?

On the plus side, it uses all 4 CPU cores, unlike chrome and is fast. Still, the top bar would suck for multiple tabs if my screen were any smaller than 1080p.

Lol. The new tab looks exactly like in chrome.

Interestingly, the only thing that has never gotten me away from chrome is that little feature they have where if you are closing a tab at the top and you have enough tabs open for the resize, they all stay small until you move your mouse out of the top bar. This makes closing very specific 20/30 tabs very quick and easy.

mykem

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
I've got it installed. Rock solid for me and very nice. I especially love that I can drag a tab out of the browser window to open it in a new browser window.. and.. then I can drag the tab back to combine it back in. Very cool and very useful! The speed improvements are also incredible. This is the most responsive browser I've ever run. I'm seriously considering ditching Firefox.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
[citation][nom]mykem[/nom]I've got it installed. Rock solid for me and very nice. I especially love that I can drag a tab out of the browser window to open it in a new browser window.. and.. then I can drag the tab back to combine it back in. Very cool and very useful! The speed improvements are also incredible. This is the most responsive browser I've ever run. I'm seriously considering ditching Firefox.[/citation]
Um, Firefox does that tab-dragging thing, too. Besides, have you tried Firefox 4 beta? The latest Firefox 4 beta and the IE 9 beta are neck-and-neck in speed (so are Opera, Safari, and Chrome for that matter, with Chrome being on top right now).
Before anyone asks, yes I have tried IE 9 beta already. I just don't see any huge advantages that it has over Firefox 4 beta, and in Firefox I have all those wonderful extensions...

marciocattini

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Plus I love the ctrl + Q feature that has been around since ie7, although firefox has taken it to a whole new level, and even started using a different shortcut (ctrl + space) I guess not that many people knew about it.

G

LOL
Another rubbish product out for the masses to get some free testing and debugging.
I will be sticking with Chrome or FireFox. security, no compatibility issues and a hell of a lot less buggy.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Looks and sounds promising, nice job MS. I would love to try it out and see how good it really is but I am stuck with XP until my next build. :-(

I just havent had the guts yet to try a switch to another browser(I know they all have thier strengths and weaknesses) but I have used IE since I had internet access.

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]marciocattini[/nom]Plus I love the ctrl + Q feature that has been around since ie7, although firefox has taken it to a whole new level, and even started using a different shortcut (ctrl + space) I guess not that many people knew about it.[/citation]

So what does Ctrl + Space do in Firefox?? I tried it and it didn't appear to do anything. (Also tried Ctrl + Q to see if I was missing something).

Guess I just activated some nasty backdoor into my computer since it 'didn't look like it did anything'. Oh well, I was on my work computer anyways.

[citation][nom]gmcd2210[/nom]LOLAnother rubbish product out for the masses to get some free testing and debugging.I will be sticking with Chrome or FireFox. security, no compatibility issues and a hell of a lot less buggy.[/citation]

Um last time I checked, Chrome and FF were FREE programs that also have a report tool when you run into a bug.....

So when you report a bug to Mozilla, do you get paid? Nope.

BTW, you should probably actually try IE9. Its pretty damn nice and so far runs pretty fast. I would rather have IE9 be a GOOD browser so that FF will try to be better as well.

Also, Chrome, like all Google software, installs awesome intrusive software in the background. Enjoy it.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Enzo Matrix[/nom]Uhh wtf. Why is the default zoom 105%?Also, why must I reboot after installing?On the plus side, it uses all 4 CPU cores, unlike chrome and is fast. Still, the top bar would suck for multiple tabs if my screen were any smaller than 1080p.Lol. The new tab looks exactly like in chrome.Interestingly, the only thing that has never gotten me away from chrome is that little feature they have where if you are closing a tab at the top and you have enough tabs open for the resize, they all stay small until you move your mouse out of the top bar. This makes closing very specific 20/30 tabs very quick and easy.[/citation]

They stay small in Google Chrome too.

marciocattini

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Um last time I checked, Chrome and FF were FREE programs that also have a report tool when you run into a bug.....So when you report a bug to Mozilla, do you get paid? Nope.BTW, you should probably actually try IE9. Its pretty damn nice and so far runs pretty fast. I would rather have IE9 be a GOOD browser so that FF will try to be better as well.Also, Chrome, like all Google software, installs awesome intrusive software in the background. Enjoy it.[/citation]

ctrl + Q on IE displays all open tabs kind of like exposé on mac.
on firefox 4 beta ctrl + space lets u arrange tabs intro groups and you can select which groups will show up and maximized into the programs main window.

marciocattini

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
[citation][nom]turbolover22[/nom]So what does Ctrl + Space do in Firefox?? I tried it and it didn't appear to do anything. (Also tried Ctrl + Q to see if I was missing something).Guess I just activated some nasty backdoor into my computer since it 'didn't look like it did anything'. Oh well, I was on my work computer anyways.[/citation]

sorry quoted the wrong person...
here´s a screen shot :D
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/4877/ctrlq.png

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
i love the new firefox beta... just upset with each new beta release like all your addons dont work... had a few working in beta 5... i like the idea of not clicking on the tabs, but seems you need a tab addon to do it... just moving my mouse over :p is great

also the tab candy is awesome... i have about 5 groups ranging from 5-10+ tabs its just amazing... just wish it would speed up the rendering... seems as if the gpu accel isnt being used there or something... and the loading of the tabs could use a snap shot of previously visited so i dont have to see each one rendered..

as i was typing had ie9 beta install... MS for FAIL as i typed, there install took focus and hitting space bar caused to accept the restart computer... how retarded is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.