Internet Explorer 9 Will Never Be on Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
It's a pitty for XP users (like me), but well... guess it's time to move on.
Now as for forcing some XP users to upgrade...mmm...some will rather try another browser specially if their computer is pretty old.
Some users lost, some users gained...it's always like that.

G

Unfortunately I still didn't see any inovating, closing tabs is laggy, scrolling up-down is laggier than on chrome/ff/safari and overall the browser brings nothing new.

I guess MS is just trying to be 'good enough' so that users don't switch browsers after an OS reinstall

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Who uses IE any more?[/citation]
Only people who are forced to because of various ActiveX applications or due to IE integration with other software or services. Most of these people are in the corporate sector, and are still using Windows XP. So yeah, I don't see IE9 as a big mover for Microsoft. I use IE at work, on my Windows XP machine my employer owns. Heck, I had to install IE7 myself, it was still running IE6 last summer when they re-imaged it.

I run Windows 7 at home, but have no need to upgrade IE as I never use. Don't care how much better it is than IE8, it won't be better than Opera.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
This makes sence in the fact of moving forward and supporting the new OS and emerging technologies, but as a Win XP user kinda sad I cannot update to the latest and greatist until my next build loaded up with Win7.

Not trying to be a grammer snob, Im not perfect either but...
Another reason is that Microsoft had TO leave Windows XP behind to remain competitive in the browser market

G

Hello... Vista Ultimate User here... It's only a couple years old installed.

lo_vaquero

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Who uses IE any more?[/citation]

A vast portion of the Corporate world. At least in the US. I'd also wager that a large portion of the world in-general still uses IE, based on usage reports...=)

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I might use IE a little bit more now; but I'll still use FF for better add-ons; Opera for better total package; and Chrome if I feel like I need speed over reliability. FF4 FTW!

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
In ditching Windows XP, the IE development team has been able to integrate IE9 into Windows 7 at a far better level than any browser yet.
Isn't this what got them in trouble along time ago when the kicked Netscape in the balls? Integrating the browser with the OS.

I agree that WinXP needs to be phased out but it doesn't mean ignoring customer needs. The article has a good point about Chrome, Opera, FireFox and Safari all running great on XP.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Well there is also the fact that most large corps XP support contracts with Microsoft are going to be expiring in the next year or two, and those that haven't rolled out Windows 7 yet are at the very least considering/testing it (I'm talking major corps, not small business), so this does make sense, as by the time they roll over to 7, IE9 will be mature enough to roll up to that as well.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

shiboe

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Think this is a good decision. A big problem for MS seems to be it's willingness to support and deploy for all antiquated products. Apple seems to have the right idea in pushing it's users to the newer versions, and not carrying all that antiquated load with each new iteration.

And as a web programmer, FFS can we please kill IE6 already. Hopefully this is yet another small step.

G

If people haven't upgraded to Win7 and stuck to XP, thats there problem, they need to modernize themselves and stop complaining...

webdev511

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2005
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]Another anti-trust lawsuit in he making.[/citation]
If the other browser companies choose not to leverage all of the published APIs, how is that grounds for an anti-trust lawsuit? Mozilla does leverage the APIs for some rendering, but only for items in the browser page area.

Microsofts "advantage" is that they are developing IE9 for a single platform. Everyone else is writing for a lot more than that and as such have decided that not to write a specfic version for Windows just so they can implement full hardware acceleration.

xelliz

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Heck, I had to install IE7 myself, it was still running IE6 last summer when they re-imaged it. [/citation]
You sound surprised, but then if your company lets users install software...that alone says alot about the people you work for.

thenetavenger

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
This isn't about jumplists or pinning. It is about the Direct2D and other acceleration features in IE9 that require features only in Vista and Win7 leveraging the WDDM and other video functionality that XP's architecture does not support.

This would be like complaining that Halo:Reach is available for the Original XBox, the technology can't support the features of the new version.

G

"Windows 7 runs as good as XP and has more features, why are people still using a very old OS ?"

Maybe because what they have works and they don't want or need to spend the money to upgrade? Duh!

webdev511

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2005
[citation][nom]jojesa[/nom]Never say never...if there is a mean there is always a way.Just way till hackers start playing with IE9...you might even find it for Win 98[/citation]

I think this is a safe NEVER to say, well unless the hackers port .Net Framework 4.x, WPF and all the Aero stuff to XP. Technically possible? Probably. Someone actually going to try and do it? Don't count on it.

If a "modern OS" is required for hardware acceleration, how comes Mozilla intend to add hardware acceleration to Firefox 4 on Windows XP starting with the next beta? There's something fishy here.

Moreover, from what I could see, a "pinned website" is a shortcut that retrieved the website's icon and loads IE 9 with a switch that makes it load with the favicon set right before the back/forward button.

As for site-dependent customizable toolbar colors, I don't give a month after forced install before there's an exploit out there that can subvert the browser.

And, "mostly positive reviews": please, how many of these merely say "IE 9 will be better than IE 8". Well, yes.

It'll still be behind other browsers in speed (on my machine, Firefox 4 beta 6 runs circles around it when it comes to UI responsiveness), required resources (ditto), standards compliance, stability (yes, I did crash it, several times, and it never recovered), availability (Vista/Win7 only), ease of use (I dislike Chrome due to its minimalist interface, although it is reactive and still rather complete; IE 9 manages to make a minimalist interface look CLUTTERED!), attractiveness (the new logo: take the old one, dip in bleach for a few days, leave to dry in the desert's sun for a few months; enjoy) and cleanliness (I reported a bug in a CSS3 feature they decided to implement, in Preview 3, or 3 months ago; it's been acknowledged, but is still not fixed).

The best IE ever. It caught up with the competition - but is still trailing behind: not yet out, and already the competition makes it look dated. I don't think we can expect a new release before 2013, and meanwhile, we'll have to support 8 until 2014 at the very least (in theory, we should still support IE 7 and 8; however, the only good thing that came from forced IE 8 installs is that the cumulated shares of IE6/7 is rather low now - but we'll need to retain IE 8, due to XP's popularity).

Status
Not open for further replies.