wasshup

Reputable
Dec 14, 2017
Hi,
I'm have problem with the Internet Explorer 11. After I created new SCCM preconfigured image first thing I noticed after installing is that the downloading files in IE is strange.
When i start to download some file there is two options to select - Save/Run. When I click run, file starts downloading but after download is complete it disappears from IE downlods tab.
If I choose Save option, file is downloaded to Downloads folder, but when I click open file in IE downlods tab, it throws me an error - "This program couldn't be downloaded." Indeed the file in Downloads folder can be normally opened, but that's not the point.
This is not normal downloading process. Imagine that user is downloading 10 GB rar file and if he/she clicks on option Open the file will disappear after downloading - that's not good.

I tried to google this error with no success. I also try repairing with sfc /scannow etc. but I'm still on same behaviour.

Here is gif presentation for better idea: View: https://imgur.com/a/HEusUJT

Any ideas ?

Last edited:
Solution
Hi,

I just want to give you an update. After nearly a year I found a fix for this problem. There was group policy rule that allows to open .exe files from our intranet (I guess).

After disabling this, everything is working fine on all machines.

LN3AC03.png

Problem is solved, please close this thread
Hello

Can you please check and confirm if the reference image has Ransomware Protection enabled in Windows Security?

You may also want to:

* Check if this happens only on one PC?

* Check if there's any Firewall rule or policy configured on the external facing route/security appliance that is keeping Windows from downloading any file (or a file that is of or above a certain size)?

* Check if the issue is there when using any other browser, i.e. Firefox or Chrome?

Please report back with the results to allow us to give you an effective solution?

Cheers!!

wasshup

Reputable
Dec 14, 2017
Hi there,
we're using Eset Endpoint Security/Antivirus (Laptops/Desktops) - I'll check with our server management since I'm only system administrator.
The problem occurs on all PCs and only with IE 11 - other browsers are fine (users didn't find out yet, but it is matter of time).

I have to say that I also customized default profile wint tool called DefProf. It creates some config files in Default profile's %localappdata%. I'll share those files with you, maybe we can find something wrong there.

Files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Yb3rwqbcMMrK-IFnXr92mjNQpwwVJq1F?usp=sharing

wasshup

Reputable
Dec 14, 2017
Unfortunately, no, because Internet Explorer is needed to run specific apps and systems in our company. It's also pre-configured to mantain intrent access, security, etc.

I tried install clean version of Windows 10 Pro few minutes ago. I join it to the domain and let GPO apply rules.

After using it for few minuter no problem with downloading so it's not problem in group policy.

I tried to configure default profile one more time. I changed home site in IE and add one bookmark. Then I created new local profile with admin rights, log in, and copy paste content from configured profile to Default profile folder. And boom, problem is back after logging to new profile.

So it has to be some file inside the profile that makes the problem, I just have to find out which exactly.

wasshup

Reputable
Dec 14, 2017
Hi,

I just want to give you an update. After nearly a year I found a fix for this problem. There was group policy rule that allows to open .exe files from our intranet (I guess).

After disabling this, everything is working fine on all machines.

LN3AC03.png

Problem is solved, please close this thread

Solution

TRENDING THREADS