Internet Explorer Drops Below 50% Market Share

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The worldwide market share numbers aren't that different from the US market share numbers. IE may soon drop below 50% even in America, regardless of the browser being bundled with Windows, depending on how many find IE9 good enough to switch to.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
It was long coming. Microsoft should have known after Windows XP that it could no longer expect to ship a final updated browser ever 2-3 years with an operating system. Back then it wasn't completely necessary as the Internet was still just a baby for the masses but in 10 years the general populace has changed and technology more than ever has advanced while Microsoft sat back on the couch.

Leo and Tom Merritt said it right, somewhere along the lines Microsoft stopped being an innovator and settled down into a catch up business model. IBM did the same and is only now starting to go back to their roots of innovating and reinnovating something I hope Microsoft returns to quickly.

axe1592

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Whats sad is that if you take out all the PC's that are in offices and banks and such and have no choice but to use IE, Id bet you that figure would be more in the 30% range. Even my wife uses Chrome and she cant work our Tivo!!

G

Just another show how the user wants something that works fast, is simple, safe, and does the job!

All these advanced browsers with extra feats and gadgets, that are slow as hell, people don't want!

People start using their brains, just like cars, people rather want a normal car that works well, than buying a ferrari with clutch, gearbox, or engine problems.

I personally don't trust the StatsCounter numbers. They tend to report IE very low and Chrome higher than any other counters.

Either way, IE is the best browser for me. Ever since 9 came out Firefox 4.0 has been uninstalled and SRWare Iron is barely managing to hang on.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
This report disagrees with others out there, like netmarketshare.com . Market share for browsers changes pretty gradually, so this is probably nonsense.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Other than having to use IE every once and awhile for a few in-house developed work applications I don't remember the last time I or anyone else I know touched IE...

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Who still uses this horrible browser? Only noobs and schools along with a few who have no choice I suppose.[/citation]
Most workers can't install software on office's PCs.

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
The only time I use IE, is when you open up a website and it says "your browser is not supported" instead of looking for the right plugin or update, I just open by in chrome IE tab, works fine.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]zorky9[/nom]Did all Mac users just download Chrome?[/citation]
Me = Mac (and linux and windows) user

And yes I did just download Chrome.

Safari is great... just... Chrome is better.

landerx74

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I am not surprised at all. Microsoft does not and I think cannot update IE as fast as the other browser makers. IE 8 and still predominate IE 6 and IE 7 lack many of the cutting edge features found in Google Chrome and Firefox. Maybe with IE 9 things will change.

mouettus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
[citation][nom]TheWhiteRose000[/nom]Lol, Finally.Go away IE no body loves you.(Huggles his Firefox.)That's what you get for no GPU support for XP![/citation]

you really want the latest technology on a nearly 10 years old OS?!

make up your mind!

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

That's probably even a little high!

I haven't used IE in......Hmmmmmmmmm

I even used Netscape way back when I had AoL DIAL-UP!! And they went to the Unlimited plan. (am I showing my age??)

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Personally I loke IE9 Beta so far more than anything. The minus it has is the errors it gives to certain tabs for no actual reasons and restarts them. Similar issues to IE8 before it updates which is more than stable now and works great ( for those that havent tried it the past few months IE8 is indeed working great but just not as fast as is IE9 Beta ). Ill give IE9 the benefit and keep trying it till the major issue atm is resolved and judge afer both Firefox and IE9 are fully working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS