Internet Explorer Issues / Internet Options won't open / Inetcpl.cpl error

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaled

Honorable
May 27, 2013
PROBLEM SOLVED: Look below (under summary of problems) for the solution.

Hey,

SUMMARY OF PROBLEMS

- Cannot open Internet Explorer: When I open IE 9, the process appears, and internet explorer starts up. As soon as the tab for my homepage loads, IE closes straight away, and leaves behind the download manager for IE, asking me if i want to download my homepage.

- Cannot open Internet Options through control panel: When i go to Control Panel > Networking > Internet Options and click on it, nothing appears on screen, no matter how many times i press it. Same thing happens with IE > Tools > Options; nothing appears

- Cannot open Skype (I found this was linked to the IE problems): When I open Skype, the login page stays on a white screen, and i am unable to click anywhere on skype / close it, I have to force close it by ending the process (Temporary solution found, look below)

- Cumulative Security Update for IE 9 won't install (Windows Update): This has been an on-going problem for around a year+ now, but still relevant. Whenever my Windows Update has a Cumulative Security Update for IE 9, I try to install it, however it fails and says updates were not configured correctly, reverting changes The error code I get is: 800719E4. As far as I am aware, there is no solution to this error as of yet.

SOLUTION

This was caused by multiple Windows Updates that were released in May 2013 - KB2820197 AND KB2847204

How to fix this:

1. Go to Start > Control Panel > Programs > View Installed Updates
2. Find the windows updates:
- KB2820197
- KB2847204

3. Right click on them and press uninstall.
4. Reboot the computer.

WHAT I HAD TRIED, AND FAILED (For reference)

1. Uninstalling Internet Explorer 9 and reinstalling (get an error message on uninstalling: updates were not configured correctly, reverting changes)
2. Trying an sfc /scannow through cmd - it found a few corrupt files and fixed them but didn't solve the problem.
3. Booting up IE from a fresh boot with no network connection - can open it but can't access tools > internet options
4. Booted in safe mode and safe mode with networking to try and access the control panel internet options / IE > tools > options, but didn't work.
5. Tried running Inetcpl.cpl, nothing opened.
6. Went to the microsoft help page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
and downloaded the reset internet explorer fix, when it was attempting to fix the problem, i got the error: Error loading inetcpl.cpl. The Operating system cannot run %1
7. [Skype related] Tried deleting shared.xml file in %appdata% > Skype, however that didn't work
8. Tried straight up installing a previous version of IE (IE 8) but it doesn't let you install a previous version of IE if you already have the most recent one (And i'm unable to uninstall the current version of IE)
9. Tried editing the registry key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions and deleting NoBrowserOptions but the entry Internet Explorer does not exist

PROBLEMS / FIXES

1. Fixed Skype temporarily by creating a shortcut of the original Skype, and changing the target to "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /legacylogin - allowing me to log in and use skype
2. Did a few indepth antivirus scans and found a Trojan.Vundo in the Internet Explorer Registry file: HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{56256A51-B582-467e-B8D4-7786EDA79AE0} However, after removing it, IE still didn't work.

Other Info / specs

- Running a 32 bit OS + 32 bit IE
- Using IE 9
- Fully patched Windows (All windows updates complete aside from IE Cumlative Security updates)
- Running Service Pack 2

Solution
I've finally solved it.

Turns out it was an error caused by windows updates:

- KB2820197
- KB2847204

I just uninstalled them + rebooted and everything seems to be working normally now.

Cheers for everyone who helped on this.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
With Google Chrome, you need the IE installed prior to Chrome so considering all the changes to IE, your Chrome is the culprit and not IE.
You could try setting Chrome as NOT the default browser, IE should actually be the default browser, anyhow. Chrome also utilises the ieframe.dll

If you do decide to uninstall Chrome, all your settings for it will also be removed.

You're going to need to reconstitute that part of the Control panel by using your (or a borrowed) XP CD. If you do need to borrow one, I doubt it would make a difference whether it was Home or Pro. Pop the disk in and close the blue form that shows up. Go from Start to Run and in the Open box, type the following:-
expand D:\i386\inetcpl.cp_ C:\Windows\system32\inetcpl.cpl
then press Enter. The _ is correct - unexpanded files don't get their last character back until they're ready for use. I've assumed here that D is your optical drive and C is (a it should be) your OS drive.

Phaled

Honorable
May 27, 2013
Does it have to be straight from a disc, or can I go around to my friends house and take his intecpl.cpl and copy + replace it in system 32? Also, does it matter if it's from a 64 /32 bit system considering i'm running a 32 bit OS.

Phaled

Honorable
May 27, 2013
I've finally solved it.

Turns out it was an error caused by windows updates:

- KB2820197
- KB2847204

I just uninstalled them + rebooted and everything seems to be working normally now.

Cheers for everyone who helped on this.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.