Internet Explorer Market Share at 10-Yr Low Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
[citation][nom]babybeluga[/nom]I hope this means that people are getting smarter![/citation]

Hopefully, but I doubt all those 60% who use Internet Explorer do so because they evaluated each option and chosed to use it. You can say that about the other ones because it implies that they know there's life outside of Internet Explorer (which let's face it, many people just don't know).

It's been very interesting to see Internet Explorer development as soon as some serious competition showed up. They actually started to add new features instead of relying 100% on the Windows dominance. A small reminder of what monopoly can do to a product, and how competition can bring it back to life.

duk3

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I can't wait until Microsoft has to actually compete for OS and browser market share to get those windows prices down.
Competition is better for everyone, especially the consumer.

Franklin Hennersdorfer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
IE8's the one that finally got me to leave. I stayed loyal since the day I switched away from old Netscape back in the Win95/98 days to IE, and would use it still if Microsoft hadn't introduced so many new bugs into IE8 that they REFUSE to develop fixes for. Anyone tried saving images or files in IE8 lately? It used to remember where you last saved a file as long as you had a browser open. Now, even a closing tab forces it to revert to the My Pictures or My Documents folders or the like, and Microsoft simply refuses to fix it. It's one of many things costing them users.

djtronika

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
personally i am very excited about IE9's massive GPU capabilities. go check out the test drive demo now. i'd be interested to see your comments after you play with it.

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Chromes's latest beta can render webpages at 2500fps (they didn't mention hardware on the Facebook post), apparently at that speed you get artifacts, i thought it was interesting.

landerx74

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I really wish MS would release updates and performance improvements as fast as they do for Chrome and Firefox. They need to move quicker. IE 9 is promising but how long until we get it?

mouettus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
ppl are being anal with the performance. I mean... we all have fast PCs. bottleneck is the network connection (internet). I've tried them all on 3 different OSes and can't see turd as far as performance goes.

I'm using my computer on a 46in tv... so I HAVE to use the magnify tool. IE is the only one looking good out of the bunch when zoomed 150%.

Startup too is very fast on my 4yrs old pc...

Those are the reasons why I use IE. Other than that, it's a UI preference thing.

I think that feature wise Internet explorer 8 is better than Firefox, however Internet explore 8 has a number of bad bugs such as dead tabs, getting stuck and not displaying on sites with imbedded adverts (such as Toms hardware). Firefox has its share of bugs as well but they don’t affect the usability of the browser so much.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I've see other opinion poles on other sites (large news sites) where their pole of the day has/had Chrome at 10%. Chrome's OS could really change the dominance of at least the developer install base. A lot of developers I know where I work want Open Standards everything and can't stand the things MS does to create their own standard and force it on everyone else, (i.e. - IE back in the 90's early 2000's and their lack of W3C conformity). I personally want a fast browser which doesn't require monolithic hardware to be fast, but will scale very well with hardware when the content rendering can be sped up with the right hardware.

G

Have not used IE in 10 yrs too I bet! No thats not correct, I am using Chrome with IE tab, so I technically use IE from time to time. Nuts.

IE is just not as nice of a package as FF or Chrome; still use it over that POS Opera though!

drowned

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Burn baby, burn!

PS - "I think that feature wise Internet explorer 8 is better than Firefox" GTFO noob. It's called addons.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Go Opera! :D Unfortunately it doesn't load Docs.com for me and halts on some sites forcing me to manually stop the loading and reloading every time I click links but only on a few sites. Minor tweaks but the most solid browser on the market IMO.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Most people I know that use internet explorers are pretty dumb when it comes to PC knowledge.They use it just because it comes with the OS.I tell them to go to firefox..They say why, how is it better than IE.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]mouettus[/nom]ppl are being anal with the performance. I mean... we all have fast PCs. bottleneck is the network connection (internet). I've tried them all on 3 different OSes and can't see turd as far as performance goes.[/citation]

If you're truely using your browser a lot, you will notice differences in speed as well as other things.
For instance my old mother is using both chrome and internet explorer. Some things she does on her laptop run considerably better in chrome, and others do not. An example would be a lot of the flash based content she uses, which just runs very very very poorly in internet explorer. However, other sites require internet explorer to even work, thus neither is perfect.

Personally I have both ie, chrome and firefox. I never liked the counterintuitive firefox layout though, and only have it for the sql express addon.
@ work we only support internet explorer, as it is the only browser with activex support natively (ie without ietab for chrome and firefox). Neither webmail, nor our intranet or registration system works properly in other browsers.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
AdBlock+
That's part of the reason for FF market share.

I liek FF for the slim UI (if modified, even slimmer). Chrome also has a very slim UI, but is more of a nuisance to use in fullscreen mode.
I could slim down my UI more, but then I'd lose my browser bar when in fullscreen mode. I also keep a single bottom bar on just to show my links.

I remember my old IE, the UI was half the monitor real estate (I ran at minimum resolution back then because my old CRT was too small to be readable at higher resolutions).

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I've got kaspersky at home, so no need for adblock at my place.
Anyway, I've never seen a firefox with as small an ui as chrome - it's one of the reasons I like it so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.