[SOLVED] Internet extender questions?!

KatD4ddy

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2015
A new internet tower was recently put up in my area and they’re coming to install it soon. They are going to run a satellite facing the tower and then a cable to the house with a modem I do believe. The modem will be in one part of the house where I cannot hardwire my computer and Xbox. I want to have the fastest speeds but I know hardwiring to the modem is the only way, I do believe. What exactly is an extender? Is there a way I can have the internet modem upstairs and then something plugged in downstairs and hardwire myself to that instead of the modem that is hooked to the satellite facing the internet tower? My computer has to be hardwired in order to be connected to the internet. Any help, or knowledge you can teach me would be great!

Solution
With a new home, powerline should be fine - your electrical is new, and in optimal condition.
You may have to try various outlets to determine the length of the run from point A to point B - which can impact speed and stability - but should certainly be decent.

Depending on the layout, it may be too difficult to run some cables, a lot of new homes will have (for example) a closet shape that's replicated in the basement, main floor & upper (in a storey + basement house). In that instance, you could penetrate one wall, and feed cabling up - minimizing damage to walls, although you would have to find a way to drill through studs* separating floors, so running into a closet & then up can be beneficial.

*Of course, ensure you're...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Powerline (ethernet, over your existing electrical wiring) is the only route without running cables.

A great solution in theory, but will depend on the quality/age of your electrical wiring, and the length of the circuit.

Depending on the specific locations you're looking it and the size of your home... You might want to consider running ethernet to the room via the attic or basement/crawlspace - potentially even run it around the exterior.

KatD4ddy

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2015
Powerline (ethernet, over your existing electrical wiring) is the only route without running cables.

A great solution in theory, but will depend on the quality/age of your electrical wiring, and the length of the circuit.

Depending on the specific locations you're looking it and the size of your home... You might want to consider running ethernet to the room via the attic or basement/crawlspace - potentially even run it around the exterior.
It’s a brand new house, didn’t plan on having good internet so we never ran Ethernet cables, big mistake.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
With a new home, powerline should be fine - your electrical is new, and in optimal condition.
You may have to try various outlets to determine the length of the run from point A to point B - which can impact speed and stability - but should certainly be decent.

Depending on the layout, it may be too difficult to run some cables, a lot of new homes will have (for example) a closet shape that's replicated in the basement, main floor & upper (in a storey + basement house). In that instance, you could penetrate one wall, and feed cabling up - minimizing damage to walls, although you would have to find a way to drill through studs* separating floors, so running into a closet & then up can be beneficial.

*Of course, ensure you're complying with any relevant building/fire code if going this route.

Solution