Internet Faster On Laptop Than Stationary

pingpongping

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014
I have a laptop and a stationary computer. The internet on my laptop is slightly faster than on my stationary. I'm I've tried using the same ethernet cable for both. What could be causing this?

pingpongping

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014
I'm talking very small differences but for example when I play Counter Strike on my stationary i'll have pretty much exactly 36 ping while on my laptop I'll have 29 on the same server. The stationary also feels a bit unstable while the laptop always works completely fine.

snowctrl

Distinguished

What is the spec of the laptop, and what is the spec of the desktop? Have you tried speed of.me yet?

I've often wondered this myself. I have an odd issue where ics is setup between two almost identical desktops. The internet gets to the client pc by way of cat5e, through a router (since it isn't a crossover cable) then to the client. Oddly, the internet speed is faster/more responsive on the client than it is on the host that's directly connected. Go figure. I could see it if the router in the mix slowed things up, but why one seems to have preferential speed over the other boggles me. Sounds similar to your situation and I haven't found a fix for mine either.

pingpongping

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014

I used speedtest.net and there was no noticable difference. I didn't expect there to be one either.

I don't know what these mean, just copy pasting them.

Specs

Desktop
GPU: 7800 series AMD Radeon (I think it's 7850)
CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00ghz 3.00ghz
Ram: 8 GB

Laptop
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8550G + 8750M Dual Graphics
CPU: AMD A8-5550M APU with Radeon HD Graphics
Ram: 8 GB