Question Internet from a local provider (their antenna & modem -> wired to my router) dramatically slowed down

StarshipJake

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
Hello!

I have the Internet provided by a local provider. They installed an antenna on the roof of my house, it's wired to a modem of theirs (located in my house of course), which is wired to my router and I use both wireless and wired connection to various devices in the house from there. For a long time it worked without a problem, the signal, as determined by the provider himself, was excellent, and I had no reason to doubt him, I paid for 15Mb/s and got it. However I was away for over a month, and when I returned, the connection is down to barely 2Mb/s, both on the wire and the wireless connection (I'm getting ~5-10% faster connection on the wire, I assume it's just the signal thing, but maybe it's worth to mention). When I bypassed the router and connected my laptop directly to the modem via a wire, the speed was the same 2Mb/s, so I assume the problem is on their part.

Here's the fun part. Since it's a small local provider, there's literally a single guy who operates all of their stuff, and he's out on holidays until early August :D I don't blame the guy, but I wonder if perhaps there's something I can do on my end? Because I know they didn't put a limit on my Internet speed, so if all works well, it should still be 15Mb/s. So what is the most likely causing the problem? Physical damage to the antenna? Is it possible that it being moved by wind or something caused this? Problem with the modem? Wires? The weird part is that I still get the internet and the connection is steady, it's just slower than it's supposed to. Any recommendations as to what I might try, or at least how to determine what happened?

Thanks in advance,
Jake

So this "antenna" is getting the signal from some remote location? Is possible either your antenna or his antenna is out of position. Run some sort of app to show u the signal strength in real time, then have a friend with a cellphone attempt to reposition the antenna for max signal strength.

Do you know the brand on the radio on the house. I know some of the common devices used have signal led strength meters. All depends how hard it is to mess with on the roof of your house. Does not even pay to try if it is not one of the devices that has some indicator. Many you can log into and see but that requires a password that only the installer would know.

StarshipJake

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
So this "antenna" is getting the signal from some remote location? Is possible either your antenna or his antenna is out of position. Run some sort of app to show u the signal strength in real time, then have a friend with a cellphone attempt to reposition the antenna for max signal strength.
I think it is possible that my antenna is out of position, albeit definitely not by much.
Checking the signal sounds like a good idea, could you tell me how to do it? What's the word for the signal that I want to check the strength of? As in, if I were to google it, which phrase would I google? :D

Is it possible that tree growth(leaves) or other vegetation(between you and the signal source) are affecting the signel?
There's no vegetation immediately by my or the provider's antenna. There are some trees on the way, but as far as I can tell, their leaves aren't in the way. And even if they were, it has been the same for years, and the problem is fairly recent.

Do you know the brand on the radio on the house. I know some of the common devices used have signal led strength meters. All depends how hard it is to mess with on the roof of your house. Does not even pay to try if it is not one of the devices that has some indicator. Many you can log into and see but that requires a password that only the installer would know.
As far as I can tell, there is no signal strength indicator on the antenna itself. I don't think I can log into the antenna, at least I wasn't given any way to do it by the provider. I think it might be the strength of the signal.

Yeah I think what's the most reasonable theory is that the antenna has moved slightly due to wind or some other factor. I'll try to reposition it tomorrow, but here's the thing, from my roof I can't see the exact position of the provider's antenna. Is there any way to determine the exact direction? As in, some kind of a signal strength indicator?
I suppose I could just run an internet speed test every time I reposition the antenna, but it requires a lot of moving into and from the roof and is a logistical nightmare. Any other way perhaps?

Nobody said this was going to be easy, and don't kill yourself climbing on the roof.

This technology is often referred to as Point to Point WIFI, and ubiquiti is one vendor and they should have instructions on the antenna they sell as far as making positional adjustment.

Is all on you, nobody can hold your hands or ladder from here, or wait until August. Sounds like a 1-man operation ISP, hope ur getting a good deal.